The Need for a Game Editor & other thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Need for a Game Editor & other thoughts

Have downloaded Cricket Captain 2020, And it looks good even if it does feel like a data update. However i feel to get in line with other sports sim (including Cricket Coach) there was a need for a Game Editor

As well as updating players and teams with transfers and ability changes It could be used for

- Adding new Leagues and competitions (Football Manager does this rather well)
    - Ability to amend league structures (For example have the County Championship has 3 divisions of 6, or return it to its hey day of 1 division of 18)
    - Expand the World Cup to include associate countries

Aside from an editor here are some of the things which could be addressed :-

- The regeneration of players surnames (I am trying Manipur in India and there are 7 singhs in the squad, A look at Wikipedia and there isnt a single one which means that there is a chronic lack of research for the players & a slight lazyness for regeneration of surnames. There are more surnames then Singh in India & a simple look on Wikipedia and Sikhism isnt really practised in Manipur (I'm using Manipur as an example)

- The Lack of no DRS, DRS has been a massive factor in World Cricket for a few years now, Yet the biggest Cricket Management game of them all fails to include it in the game again

- Associate Nations (Surely it would be good if we can start our management careers as one of these teams and guide it to the T20 world cup)

I'm a fan of the game, I will enjoy playing the game but it needs improving in certain areas.

ChrisUK2020 Did you ever try out an unofficial editor? The Cricket Captain developers have explained in the past why an official editor isn't likely to be feasible. For example, see Chris Child's post here:
    https://steamcommunity.com/app/81772...10552649275923

I have written a basic Editor and a Scout, which are obviously very limited, but perhaps better than nothing. They can only be used in "Easy" mode games (not eligible for online play), so they can't be used for cheating online.

I have mostly focused on editing players and clubs, but I can see you're more interested in editing competitions. There was a very good fixture editor, which is open source, so could be revived. With some effort, I think some of the things you want could be feasible.

Comment

When playing the t20 world cup in tournament mode you should be able to play as Namibia and PNG but you can't can this please be fixed in a update?

Comment

Originally posted by weetabixharry View Post
        ChrisUK2020 Did you ever try out an unofficial editor? The Cricket Captain developers have explained in the past why an official editor isn't likely to be feasible. For example, see Chris Child's post here:
        https://steamcommunity.com/app/81772...10552649275923

I have written a basic Editor and a Scout, which are obviously very limited, but perhaps better than nothing. They can only be used in "Easy" mode games (not eligible for online play), so they can't be used for cheating online.

I have mostly focused on editing players and clubs, but I can see you're more interested in editing competitions. There was a very good fixture editor, which is open source, so could be revived. With some effort, I think some of the things you want could be feasible.
        Does your editor only work with CC2018?

Comment

ChrisUK2020

Wiki isn't a reliable source in this case, the Manipur 2019/20 squad included several player's with the surname Singh.

Find Ranji Trophy, 2019/20 averages batting bowling by team records and stats on ESPNcricinfo. Check averages batting bowling by team stats of Ranji Trophy, 2019/20.

Comment

Originally posted by ARW96 View Post
            Does your editor only work with CC2018?
            There's a very basic editor for 2019, which I got working using the demo. I don't think there's a Cricket Captain 2020 demo available yet. Depending on how much the game structure has changed, it may be possible to get a basic 2020 editor working anyway.

Comment

Manipur used 32 players in their 2019/20 Ranji Trophy campaign and 18 players had the surname Singh.

Find Ranji Trophy, 2019/20 averages batting bowling by team records and stats on ESPNcricinfo. Check averages batting bowling by team stats of Ranji Trophy, 2019/20.

Comment

I actually agree on an editor not being included. While it'll be nice to create players, I think there's more than enough in the game already. However, it is frustrating to only have three or four PNG players, and one Malaysian, so you can't even make a national side up. I have no idea where Nigeria and Saudi Arabia went as they were fun to play the odd game as. Therefore, personally, it'll be nice to see more nations represented fully in the World XI A/B function.

An editor for ability will ruin the appeal of the game. In real life you don't get a "my front foot is 85". However, how about little reminders in the news section like "Dave batted well for the seconds today" or "Dave is bowling quick in the nets" if you have them on training. Kind of like an assistant coach who is more in depth than "Dave improved his attacking shots". That's a realistic feature and may be a nice addition?

Other than that - still filthy at not being able to save World XI's so have to create them fresh each time (makes my England pre-war T20 matches annoying to compile each time). But that's just a selfish little time saving desire, doesn't detract from the quality of the game.
                Last edited by FineLegatron; 06-19-2020, 09:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FineLegatron View Post
                  I actually agree on an editor not being included. While it'll be nice to create players, I think there's more than enough in the game already. However, it is frustrating to only have three or four PNG players, and one Malaysian, so you can't even make a national side up. I have no idea where Nigeria and Saudi Arabia went as they were fun to play the odd game as. Therefore, personally, it'll be nice to see more nations represented fully in the World XI A/B function.

An editor for ability will ruin the appeal of the game. In real life you don't get a "my front foot is 85". However, how about little reminders in the news section like "Dave batted well for the seconds today" or "Dave is bowling quick in the nets" if you have them on training. Kind of like an assistant coach who is more in depth than "Dave improved his attacking shots". That's a realistic feature and may be a nice addition?

Other than that - still filthy at not being able to save World XI's so have to create them fresh each time (makes my England pre-war T20 matches annoying to compile each time). But that's just a selfish little time saving desire, doesn't detract from the quality of the game.
                  Completely agree, no idea why anyone would want an editor other than to create super players and then making the game boring.

Comment

Thanks Guys. Should have dug deeper about Manipur

Would be great if someone would create an editor of sorts.

Comment

Originally posted by galvatron View Post

Completely agree, no idea why anyone would want an editor other than to create super players and then making the game boring.
                      I have never heard of anyone wanting to make super players. The only uses I can recall for editing ability are:
                      1. Reduce the ability of players deemed to have been overrated. (For example, I recall some people being annoyed that Phil Hughes batted like Bradman in ICC ~2009).
                      2. Reduce the ability of regens. (Some people get upset when their favourite players don't play any international games because a new superstar has been generated).
                      3. Prolong the careers of players who had long careers in real life. (Again, hindsight is a wonderful thing).
                      In my experience, most people just want an editor for experimenting with "what if" scenarios. What if all the English domestic clubs had their budgets slashed? What if Alastair Cook hadn't retired from Test cricket? What if Graeme Smith had qualified to play for England via his Irish wife? What if you could select more overseas players in your domestic team? What if Bradman were alive today and opted to play for Surrey? What if all the players playing in England moved to random clubs? The list goes on...

I think the objective is almost always to improve the longevity of the game and/or to (in the user's opinion) improve realism.
                      Last edited by weetabixharry; 06-20-2020, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Is there a game editor in football manager, if so it it successful?

Comment

Originally posted by Cricstarz View Post
                          Is there a game editor in football manager, if so it it successful?
                          Yes. Football Manager has a free pre-game editor and an in-game editor available for a few extra £ (typically about 10% on top of the game price), which is definitely worth it. Since at least ~1998, they have bundled a pre-game editor for free with the game. As far as I am aware, the developers actually used that editor themselves to create the game databases (players, clubs, competitions, nations, etc). Extremely high quality unofficial savegame editors have also been created in the past by fans. These unofficial editors were relatively easy to develop because Championship Manager / Football Manager display the majority of the game data "openly" (in contrast to Cricket Captain, which hides all player attributes).

To paraphrase this post by Chris Child, I think the two main barriers to having an official editor for Cricket Captain are:
                          1. Cricket Captain is not created using an editor. The databases are generated (principally) using an algorithm that parses a large data set. Therefore, no editor currently exists that could be released to us.
                          2. There isn't the budget to create an editor. Cricket games are a smaller niche than football games, so generate less cash for future development. Creating an editor would take up at least a whole year's development budget, so there would be no data update and no gameplay improvements. The demand for an editor is nowhere near high enough to justify that. (Even within this forum thread, you can see a significant proportion of posts not in favour of an editor).
                          From my perspective, the main barriers preventing the development of a good unofficial editor are:
                          1. Player attributes are completely hidden. The Cricket Captain developers believe this is a fundamental mechanic of the game, so I don't think this is ever going to change. This means, when developing an unofficial editor, you don't even know what attributes exist, let alone where to find them.
                          2. Online cheating. Although it has been possible to restrict the unofficial editor to only work with "Easy" mode games (not eligible for online play), the underlying data structures are identical, so we can't openly discuss the development online, without the risk that someone will use that information to cheat. This means I am one person working alone, so progress is very slow compared to the good old days of open discussion.
                          3. Lack of fans with programming expertise. I am not a programmer and I learned C# purely to write editors for Cricket Captain, so the quality could be better. Isura, who wrote the Fixture Editor, is an accomplished programmer. We need more like him.

Comment

So nice to come and read the forum for an intelligent level of discussion on these features. Facebook and Twitter tend to be quite reactionary or aggressive. Here we’ve got reasoned arguments for an editor.

We don’t have any plans to make one for this year. We have discussed something limited that could be accessed through player profile but I’m generally not keep on the idea of exposing player abilities because it destroys the realism of the game. If you know how good someone is, then why spend time trying out players and assessing their performances in the game?

I’m very happy to support the fan made editors for fixtures and the database, so if people want some help with that, feel free to ask (email us via the support page is probably the best bet).

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Child View Post
                              So nice to come and read the forum for an intelligent level of discussion on these features. Facebook and Twitter tend to be quite reactionary or aggressive. Here we’ve got reasoned arguments for an editor.

We don’t have any plans to make one for this year. We have discussed something limited that could be accessed through player profile but I’m generally not keep on the idea of exposing player abilities because it destroys the realism of the game. If you know how good someone is, then why spend time trying out players and assessing their performances in the game?

I’m very happy to support the fan made editors for fixtures and the database, so if people want some help with that, feel free to ask (email us via the support page is probably the best bet).
                              Dear Chris Child ideally the need for an editor does not arise if the AI is adept at understanding real life scenarios. For example, when all rounders are chosen as 5th bowler in a team, they regularly bowl 2.5 times more overs than the 4th bowler. Sometimes all rounders bat at 3 or 4 when this is never realistic. The transitive nature of the AI to choose a team out of the squad is always flawed. I had one T20 match on a seemingly good for batting hard wicket where Afghanistan bowled 4 spinners first and the 5th bowler was their opening bowler!

It's these type of unrealistic selections that force your users to want an editor. While we're spending a lot of time trying to correct the AI's flaws and oddly superhuman skill of certain players, we are happy to do it as we love the game. I've been buying the game for 5 years now (including 2020) and even simple things such as separation lines in the records page for internationals & domestic (which was discussed and agreed to by the developers) has not been incorporated.

While there can be hundreds of complaints, you still have your loyal base of customers which will only increase if an editor is available for a few more bucks! It's strange that you would not consider this aspect, but I do understand that updating the database is a major selling point for every release. Pls be rest assured, your loyal fans will buy every year, if anything you're losing fans because of the your persistence not to provide an editor!

Comment

Working...
                              X