No announcement yet.

Batting in t20s still feels like an absolute mess

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have won the One-Day cup two years in a row using the same field settings so it will be interesting to see how I fare in that this time around.

Comment

Originally posted by jazzyfizzle0 View Post
      I have won the One-Day cup two years in a row using the same field settings so it will be interesting to see how I fare in that this time around.
      Putting all your fielders in the off side should work so be glad if that is fixed. Hopefully more realistic fields will do a bit better

Comment

Just starting on a new season with a previously successful team so should find out soon...

If the off-side bias has been fixed I’ll regret saying anything! I have a lot less interest in the LO matches and am inherently lazy so having one set of tactics to apply across both formats has suited me quite well.

I think that there is also an element of settling on players who suit the tactics, so if a good LO bowler doesn’t work out for me I just move on to the next. This doesn’t get the best out of some players and they often go on to succeed (sometime at my expense) at other clubs.

While higher totals for LO matches have been touted over the last few years I have found that they have remained fairly constant. I T20s 150 is the magic number to keep them below / get above, in OD matches 250.

Comment

Originally posted by jazzyfizzle0 View Post
          Hi cde , I've just finished my latest T20 season with Kent, and I finished bottom of the group, despite have a 4.5 star rating (which was higher than everyone else I played). This is my fourth year and my recruiting in the winter was mostly focused on the T20 side. So obviously disappointing to finish bottom.

The amount of runs conceded was noticeably higher per match, I'd say possibly as high as 40-50 runs higher on average than the previous year.

Taking into account Jamesy1984 's comment above too, I would say I'm almost certain there has been some sort of tweak in the latest patch.
          I have failed to qualify with a team who lost just a couple of matches on the way to victory the year before. We’re there many close matches? Sometimes it feels like it comes down to luck, a few more runs either way would change the outcome and if that goes your way you look invincible but if they go the other way you look awful!

Comment

I really hope this issue gets addressed. I hate complaining, I love this game and have been playing since the first edition about 20 years ago but the T20 issues are seriously ruining my enjoyment of the game these days! I’m no mug at playing this game, like I say have been a loyal follower for years but I just can’t figure it out whatsoever. It shouldn’t provoke so much ire haha but when you’ve been painstakingly working your way through a season, developing players etc and then your middle order aggressive batsmen bat out a maiden in the 18th over of a T20 game it is unbelievably infuriating!! So then you edge them up to nearly max, they get out etc, etc. I’ve tried loads of different things, players...it even seems to happen on the easy setting so must be a match engine issue, especially as the first class and 50 over games seem so perfectly designed...difficult, challenging, but realistic.
            It’s to the point where I’m skipping t20 matches at the moment. Would love this to be improved before 2021 edition!

Comment

Originally posted by icc2020 View Post
              I really hope this issue gets addressed. I hate complaining, I love this game and have been playing since the first edition about 20 years ago but the T20 issues are seriously ruining my enjoyment of the game these days! I’m no mug at playing this game, like I say have been a loyal follower for years but I just can’t figure it out whatsoever. It shouldn’t provoke so much ire haha but when you’ve been painstakingly working your way through a season, developing players etc and then your middle order aggressive batsmen bat out a maiden in the 18th over of a T20 game it is unbelievably infuriating!! So then you edge them up to nearly max, they get out etc, etc. I’ve tried loads of different things, players...it even seems to happen on the easy setting so must be a match engine issue, especially as the first class and 50 over games seem so perfectly designed...difficult, challenging, but realistic.
              It’s to the point where I’m skipping t20 matches at the moment. Would love this to be improved before 2021 edition!
              I genuinely think t20 is absolutely bang on. It's not as easy as in last year's game but this is very much a good thing.

Comment

Lynx54321 any tips for us mate, they would be welcome! Have seen a few of the ones on here, still not having much success like I say. I may be in a self defeating cycle of doubt/frustration that just isn’t working for me!

Comment

Originally posted by icc2020 View Post
                  Lynx54321 any tips for us mate, they would be welcome! Have seen a few of the ones on here, still not having much success like I say. I may be in a self defeating cycle of doubt/frustration that just isn’t working for me!
                  To be honest I do exactly the same thing everytime.

Bowling I open with two pace bowlers on 2 aggression for the first 4 overs. Down to 1 aggression for the 5th and 5th over. Then once the power play is over down to minimum aggression and the spinners come in. I tend to rotate my bowlers a fair bit once the power play is over and if someone is getting hammered take them out the attack plus lower agression earlier in the power play.

Batting wise, two from the top to start with always. If a batsman is scoring too slowly, reasonably settled or we have plenty of wickets in hand after about the tenth over then move to one off the top. If someone really gets bogged down i go full agression in the hope they will crack a boundary or two before getting out.

I win more than I lose and usually make the Vitality Blast knockouts. As in reality I find t20 is a bit of an equaliser and there is always that element of luck that can wreck a match for me. I much prefer this, in 2019 i just won almost every match by going one off the top aggression all the time and always bowling with no aggression. This years match engine feels much more realistic.

Comment

Originally posted by Lynx54321 View Post

To be honest I do exactly the same thing everytime.

Bowling I open with two pace bowlers on 2 aggression for the first 4 overs. Down to 1 aggression for the 5th and 5th over. Then once the power play is over down to minimum aggression and the spinners come in. I tend to rotate my bowlers a fair bit once the power play is over and if someone is getting hammered take them out the attack plus lower agression earlier in the power play.

Batting wise, two from the top to start with always. If a batsman is scoring too slowly, reasonably settled or we have plenty of wickets in hand after about the tenth over then move to one off the top. If someone really gets bogged down i go full agression in the hope they will crack a boundary or two before getting out.

I win more than I lose and usually make the Vitality Blast knockouts. As in reality I find t20 is a bit of an equaliser and there is always that element of luck that can wreck a match for me. I much prefer this, in 2019 i just won almost every match by going one off the top aggression all the time and always bowling with no aggression. This years match engine feels much more realistic.
                    Do you keep the bowling outside off throughout?

Comment

While I’ve got several ways of batting in tests and first class cricket both maximise my strengths or make up for my deficiencies I have only found one ideal way to bat in T20s:

This is pretty near what I aim for and usually gives good results. If there is a batsman this doesn’t work for I just find another batsman for whom it does because this seems to work with every decent T20 player. Sometimes I find a batsman, usually very aggressive, who seems to score much higher on 6 bars than on 7, 8 or even full but I usually find that through accident when trying to save a collapse.

If my batting isn’t good enough I rely solely on my bowlers giving me a target so low even a blind dog could knock off the runs and I can start off on 6 bar aggression. Even then I’ve fallen short of ridiculously low totals with rubbish teams.

Form is vitally important, there is no time for a batsman to feel their way in when you need 30 from 4 overs. If their form is dipping and below 40 they are out for someone in better form. Even an overall weaker batsman who can only crack 23 at a 120% strike rate is better than a good batsman who is getting 4 at 50%.

Comment

Originally posted by frustratedofnewport View Post

Do you keep the bowling outside off throughout?
                        I only ever change the bowling aggression or sometimes bowl around the wicket to left handers, I don't alter anything else. I've experimented with line/length in the past and not noticed any difference so I don't bother.

Comment

I only ever change the bowling aggression or sometimes bowl around the wicket to left handers, I don't alter anything else. I've experimented with line/length in the past and not noticed any difference so I don't bother.
                          So just to be 100% clear - sorry - you just go with whichever line the level of aggression sets? (I think it goes to outside off on 2 and below).

Comment

Originally posted by frustratedofnewport View Post

So just to be 100% clear - sorry - you just go with whichever line the level of aggression sets? (I think it goes to outside off on 2 and below).
                            Yep just so.

Comment

I stick to 2 bars and have a basic formula for the bowling. Like Lynx54321 I too like to open with a F and MF combination, bowing the F bowler for 2 overs and saving them to bowl overs 17 & 19. I then just let each bowler run through their 4 overs.

I always bowl one over and one around the wicket to left handers. Obviously if you bowl over the wicket to someone who takes you for 11 in an over stop, but I often get them edging to 1 1/2 slip trying to pull me into a pretty vacant left hand side.

I find variation is key to taking wickets and I don’t like two similar bowlers in tandem. If a batsman is giving me what for I change the bowlers, give the new guys two overs and change again, or if they are a right hander go around the wicket.

I also find using a spinner and a F bowler in tandem also seems to work, especially at the death.

Comment

I win 90 percent of games in t20. Trick is to attack in the powerplay while batting (one bar down from full aggression). And then in the next 5-6 overs try to not loose any wickets and get 45-50. You will usually find that you are you are around 110 after 12 overs. Increase agression to one down from top and then with wickets in the tank. Go for full agression in the last 3-4 overs. My highest score is 263 vs eng so I have tested this strategy but remember to have good t20 players playing for you
                                While bowling always bowl with fully defensive field. I tend to bowl short length in the middle face and full at the death. And it pretty much pays off every time
                                Last edited by adil; 08-30-2020, 05:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X