Batting: Bars vs T.RPO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Batting: Bars vs T.RPO

Something I've been wondering is how the game actually handles batting aggression. I know that given the same level of aggression bars an aggressive batsman will show a higher T.RPO than an average batsman, who's higher than a defensive player and so on. What I'm not sure is how this actually plays out.

Let's say you have two different batsman, hypothetically identical ability ratings/preferences but one is Aggressive and the other Defensive. You put them both on 3 bars of aggression which shows the two T.RPO values being different.

Will the Aggressive batsman be modified by his personal aggression to be more aggressive than the Defensive batsman, with the T.RPO showing the relative difference in true aggression? (This is how I've always assumed it to be)

That got me thinking though. If the bars are the base aggression level and they get modified by personal aggression ratings as a modifier, what happens when Aggressive and Defensive batsmen are set on different bars that display the T.RPO values as being about the same (or as close as they can be)? If you had the Aggressive chap on 3 and the Defensive on 5, for instance, and that happened to result in similar T.RPO, would they then be playing with the same approach in the type of shots they go for?

If so, that would imply that a batsman's personal aggression level really determines the minimum and maximum aggression levels they can actually reach in a match, with a Very Defensive batsman able to reach the lowest T.RPO on 0 bars and a Very Aggressive player able to reach the highest possible on full bars. Can we simply tweak different players anywhere between 1-8 bars to effectively play at the same aggression even if they're on different bars?

Or does it work differently and Aggressive players are more comfortable / make less mistakes at higher bars while Defensive batsmen are more competent on lower bars but make more mistakes when it's pushed up? I've heard it said that batsmen play their 'natural' game at 3 bars, but is that just for Average batsmen and Aggressive/Defensive play their natural game higher/lower than that?

Just something that's been on my mind and I was wondering if anyone happened to know exactly how aggression is handled by the game.

I think this is an interesting question but one the devs will leave the answer intentionally vague in terms of how it plays out and challenge us to use our intuition to work out what works best during games as we would in real life.

Comment

I could we well off here but I’ve ended up working on the theory that the batsmen seem to be on a sliding scale where the very defensive batsmen occupy the lowest bracket while the very aggressive the highest but that is not the only factor and much more impressively modelled.

If there is a scale from 1-13 with very defensive batsman occupying 1-8 and very aggressive 5-13 you would expect a very aggressive batsman to be five times more likely to get out before they are settled than a very defensive batsman of the same ability but they are probably more like three times more likely, so there is probably not a linear scale for that risk.

As you move up the bars you could also expect the risk of getting out to increase in a linear scale with batsmen pushed out of their comfort zone but that doesn’t seem to be the case either with more defensive batsman slightly more likely than aggressive batsmen to get out cheaply.

You then throw in the effect of how settled they are and their form and it all gets quite complicated.

To answer the question about what happens if you set two batsmen of the same ability, form and settledness (a word?) but different aggression ratings to score at the same rate they would both score at about that rate but with the less aggressive player more likely to get out.

I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Lynx54321 View Post
        I think this is an interesting question but one the devs will leave the answer intentionally vague in terms of how it plays out and challenge us to use our intuition to work out what works best during games as we would in real life.
        I really wish they wouldn't...knowing the answer to this wouldn't make the game easier but more comprehensible. At the moment the game simply doesn't give you enough feedback to figure it out and - as any designer will tell you - insufficient feedback = frustration.

Comment

Originally posted by cde View Post
          To answer the question about what happens if you set two batsmen of the same ability, form and settledness (a word?) but different aggression ratings to score at the same rate they would both score at about that rate but with the less aggressive player more likely to get out.

I think.
          Yeah, this is my assumption, that pushing a less aggressive player to the same T.RPO as a more aggressive player increases their risk of all bad stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Top_Cat View Post

Yeah, this is my assumption, that pushing a less aggressive player to the same T.RPO as a more aggressive player increases their risk of all bad stuff.
            Yea I think all batters are more comfortable on different aggression levels. When defensive players are forced to play very aggressive in t20s they can do ok but rarely strike it much over 100

Comment

Some ridiculous things still happen. When on full aggression a batsman will leave a ball alone while supposedly targeting 10RPO but there's been fine no runs from the over!

Or try a suicidal runout when on 0 aggression!

Comment

Since the last update I have found that the upper levels of batting aggression in T20s are less likely to see batsmen immediately get out. I used to find full aggression pointless and one off the top not much use either but that seems to have changed a bit. Full aggression is still a waste of time but one off the top is much better and I can start a batsman in form at that aggression and expect to score rather than just get out fourth ball.

Anyone else find the same?

Comment

Since the last update I have found that the upper levels of batting aggression in T20s are less likely to see batsmen immediately get out. I used to find full aggression pointless and one off the top not much use either but that seems to have changed a bit. Full aggression is still a waste of time but one off the top is much better and I can start a batsman in form at that aggression and expect to score rather than just get out fourth ball.

Think it was in the upgrade notes that the aggressive levels work better now as less likely for chances as wickets

Comment

For T20, I vacillate between two off the top and one off the top depending on the situation. Two off is the default but if the dude plays a dot, back up to one off to get him off strike/zack one then immediately back down again. Rarely score less than 180.

Comment

There has been an improvement for sure but it's still a little bit all or nothing for me. That shot played to long off or long on should never be a dot ball in that format and it does still seem to be a bit boundary or out if you are on the upper bars.

Going from the last yellow bar or lower just sees batsmen leaving it outside off stump when chasing 9+ an over. It does seem to be a difficult form of the game to get the balance right for devs.

The amount of hat-tricks or 3-4 wickets in an over I have seen in T20's on the game is crazy but if you're batting and need runs, there's no other option. Nowhere on that sliding scale of aggression have I noticed an improvement in batsmen knocking ones and twos.

Also, on point slightly, is there any chance of 'batsmen crossing' being added on to the game? It's annoying seeing talilenders hole out one after the other while your set batsman looks on helplessly at the other end.

Comment

Working...
                      X