Test match engine is shambolic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Test match engine is shambolic

Well it really is outrageous to say the least. I was playing as nz. It was the wtc final at lords and guess what Aus batted first putting on 424 on day one and declared at 603 after 118 overs of play. The bowling attack was:
    Boult Southee
    Wagner
    Ajaz Patel
    Seriously man I tried absolutely everything and nothing could stop the aussies playing an odi in a test
    Attached Files

Did you consider that, with two of your bowlers going for 5+ an over, that maybe it would be worthwhile not attacking so much?

Comment

Originally posted by Rumblah View Post
      Did you consider that, with two of your bowlers going for 5+ an over, that maybe it would be worthwhile not attacking so much?
      As I said mate, I used 1 bar aggression most of the time changing between 0 , 2 and 3 throughout the innings. I even tried changing bowling sides, length and line. Nothing stopped the Aussies from smoking me

Comment

Originally posted by adil View Post

As I said mate, I used 1 bar aggression most of the time changing between 0 , 2 and 3 throughout the innings. I even tried changing bowling sides, length and line. Nothing stopped the Aussies from smoking me
        Try using a part-time bowler as a partnership breaker, usually works for me. Also, bring the field right in when opposition batsmen are in the high 90's.

Comment

It happens in real life but I find in game that if they get off to a flyer you have to drag them back in quickly. I bowl my LO tactics - 2 bars outside off with an off-side heavy field. I find that if I can slow them down they sky one to deep cover or something.

I also find that if the openers get going they all follow suit. I use the same tactics for new batsmen and if they don't get themselves out I have at least slowed them down.

Comment

Love these posts. I'm sure all the real life coaches/captains of every side that ever conceded 600 in their first innings felt just as aggrieved. The AI gets a vote too you know, it's job isn't to just roll over for you.

Plenty of minor things for the team to work on match engine wise but to describe the test match engine as 'shambolic' is embarassing on your behalf just because a side scored big against you.

Comment

adil It happens mate, just like it should in real life!

Thing is to get straight back into the game and figure out how you lost?
              You can’t just blame the test engine, sour grapes mate!

I’ve spent the last 3 game years building to win the Challenge Trophy, why? cos it bugs me big time I can’t, due to the weakened squads with the stupid 100/international fixtures.

Guess what? today I got to the Semi’s....and got ‘tonked’!! I made the wrong toss decision, and let the over rate run away from me. Disappointed to say the least.

But I ain’t going to criticise the 50 Over engine.

Because that happens in real life too...
              Last edited by Yorkie; 06-14-2021, 07:46 PM.

Comment

I have no problem with conceding 600 runs but AI got them in just 118 overs. That is a bit over the top. Doesn't matter how poor the bowling is. I am sorry if the reaction was a bit OTT but I feel opposition scoring over 400 happens too often. And lastly when I try to bat at 4-5 runs an over in tests I always get out below 400

Comment

Oi wouldn't say it happens too often. If I'm batting first in a test, or a FC match for that matter, if the pitch is good and I am batting first I would see 450 as a par score. If the pitch is a bit lively on day one then 350. Batting second I look to get as close as I can to those totals even if I have to grind it out.

I would suggest playing with the fields a bit more to dry up runs? Even in LO matches or if I am looking to dry up the opposition I never go below two bars and even when the other team get their teeth sunk in I tend to keep the run rate down.

Comment

Yorkie I don't know if you have the same issue I do with the 50 over but I tend to be able to get to the knockout phases regularly enough but struggle once there.

The guys who have been doing the business for me in the group stage can be out-matched when the opposition can call on their best players but I often have no idea who my best OD players are because anyone who gets drafted into the Accursed100 never plays OD cricket again. I have tried bringing in the players who are great T20 players but they are not necessarily good OD players and often return in shocking form from the AnalGland100

Comment

I used to really struggle in the one day cup but I've managed to win it a couple of times now. I think you need a certain amount of luck in terms of who you run into in the quarter finals, that can be the most difficult game if you're missing a few of your key players and run into a comparatively less weakened side.

I've found the key is to be agressive, especially when chasing. I always start on 6 bars unless chasing sub 200 and keep each new batter there unless I'm getting skittled, if someone gets fully settled then they're up to one bar off the top straight away to make hay whilst settled. Last 10 overs, everyone is 1 bar from the top unless a tail ender. There will be the occasional collapse but batting deep helps.

And I do try to make sure I bat deep in the format, ideally with all rounders who can bat at 8 and 9. I've found bowling wise it's best to stick to 1 or 0 bars, I've found that the usually weaker opposition means that you can get away with bowlers who would get thrashed in other formats and really any economy below 6 is good enough as 300 has to be the target everytime.

Comment

I have no problem with conceding 600 runs but AI got them in just 118 overs. That is a bit over the top. Doesn't matter how poor the bowling is. I am sorry if the reaction was a bit OTT but I feel opposition scoring over 400 happens too often. And lastly when I try to bat at 4-5 runs an over in tests I always get out below 400
                        5 an over for 118 overs does seem excessive but let's wait until the next Ashes before we say it's over the top!

Comment

Originally posted by Lynx54321 View Post

5 an over for 118 overs does seem excessive but let's wait until the next Ashes before we say it's over the top!
                          Haha dont worry. Eng are in with a chance this time with a bowling attack of Archer, Wood ,Stone Anderson and Leach. The batting is a bigger worry

Comment

Haha dont worry. Eng are in with a chance this time with a bowling attack of Archer, Wood ,Stone Anderson and Leach. The batting is a bigger worry
                            The bowlers are less of a worry (if fit) but the batting... :')

A humbling time ahead I think against India then the Ashes

Comment

cde yep the same problem you describe with the 50 over latter stages, although this year I made a bad call with the toss, as I like to chase. The oppo run rate went sky high and I was out of my depth.
                              Initially I was going great guns and my opening talisman Max Holden (never been a 100 player) was scoring freely (631 runs). Thought I was on to it but sadly just the Semi’s this time

Comment

Working...
                              X