Derbyshire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Derbyshire

Hi all, I've started a save as Derbyshire and will be documenting progress in here.

Why Derbyshire? The county side really interest me, perenniel strugglers Derbyshire have spent most of their recent history languishing in division 2 and have only reached the knockout stages of the t20 Blast twice as well. Frequently labelled as one of the small counties rumoured to be on the ECB's list to give the chop the club are in fact very well run financially, no big player budget (in fact one of the smallest) but they're on a sound financial footing and have fostered a real family feel with their fans.

Goals for the save will be a long awaited return (and stay) in Division 1 of the County Championship as well as regular appearances on finals day.

So on to the squad summary:

Batsmen

Billy Godleman - Experienced opening batsman and our captain, Godleman managed over a thousand red ball runs alongside some outstanding white ball performances last season. I'll be looking for more of the same from him this season.

Wayne Madsen - Madsen is a club stalwart having been at the club for over a decade and he's been a regular supplier of runs across all formats throughout that time. He is however 36 so we will need to plan for eventually replacing him at the key position of 3 in the batting order.

Leus du Plooy - Unheralded South African who at 25 is entering his prime, had an absolute barnstormer for the club last season and will be the man to build our top order around going forwards if he can replicate it.

Alex Hughes - 28 year old batsman who looks solid at best with a first class average in the high 20s and also offers a part time bowling option.

Tom Wood - 25 year old who has just received his first fulltime contract after impressive first grade form in Australia backed up his second XI performances. An unknown quantity in game but will be competiting with Hughes to play at 5 at least for our first season. Can also open in the t20s.

Ben McDermott - Aussie overseas player in for the t20s, looks a good player though he is a defensive batsman so probably not an ideal t20 signing, part time keeper so likely to get the gloves for the blast as well.

All Rounders

Luis Reece - 944 runs and 55 wickets from the man who both opened the batting and bowling last season. He's probably going to be a key asset for us with that sort of ability and will again open up with Godleman this season.

Matt Critchley - Promising agressive batsman who can open in t20s and was the clubs first England Lions call up for some time. Also bowls useful legspin.

Fynn Hudson-Prentice - Signed from Sussex and still young at 23, looks a useful option with both bat and his fast medium bowling, will likely get a fair bit of gametime. Only very aggressive batsman in the squad so could be key in the t20s.

Anuj Dal - The only other player in the squad agressive or more with the bat he looks a reasonable prospect as a batsman who can bowl medium pace.

Mattie McKiernan - Very little gametime which for a player aged 25 is a bit worrying but goes into the season our second spinner (also legspin).

Nils Priestley - 19 year old on his first pro contract, will need to do well for the second XI to get near the starting side to be honest.

Wicket Keepers

Harvey Hosain - Our only keeping option but thankfully he looks useful! Very defensive batsman who averages around 30 and is still young as well at 23.

Bowlers

Sean Abbott - Our main overseas player and another Australian, very experienced bowler though his first stint in county cricket.

Tony Palladino - Absolute veteran of a bowler who will be important to us this season, at 36 his time remaining at county level could be short so we will be looking to squeeze as many wickets as possible from him before he retires.

Ravi Rampaul - Former West Indies bowler who is now 35 years old so could form a dads army new ball pairing with Palladino, outstanding in the Blast last season.

Sam Conners - 21 year old with very little experience but looks promising. Will need to do well for the second XI.

Michael Cohen - Another unheralded South African kolpak player, looks to have some decent potential judging by his salary and at 21 has plenty of time to develop as our senior pacemen near retirement.

Dustin Melton - Yet another kolpak from South Africa, 25 this time and with some rather unencouraging stats as well. At first glance looks to be backup at best.

Summary

I think our squad looks reasonably strong to be fair, the top 4 will be:

Godleman
    Reece
    Madsen
    Du Plooy

And I think that the four as a collective are likely as good as anything else we will see in D2 given all are capable of getting 1000 red ball runs. Wood and Hughes will be competing for the slot at 5 which long term may be somewhere we need to stregthen unless Critchley or Hudson-Prentice come on with the bat significantly.

Hosain looks a handy keeper at least in redball.

We have a decent selection of bowlers and a plethora of all rounders who along with the fact most of our batsman can get their arm over part time should see us with good variety in the t20s.

Weaknesses I've identified are:

Only one keeper who doesn't look like he's ideal for white ball cricket.

Very limited spinning options.

No backup opener in first class or list A cricket (particular issue there as Reece (along with Madsen and du Plooy will be away in the hundred)).

Pre Season Contracts

So we had a 50k budget to start with, I've straight away chucked 20k into our coaching budget as I'm a big believer in trying to bring on the young players with technique coaching whilst using practice sessions to keep key players in form. The Physio budget takes a 10k knock to get us up to 40k so I can at least have a look at bolstering our weak position.

Eventually we sign 2 players:

Ben Aitchison (a regen from the youth section renamed) - Aitchison signed for Derbyshire after being linked to a few counties over the Summer. Has taken 76 second XI wickets at 25 so hoping he can fulfill his real life counterpart's potential.

Craig Wallace - Cheapest wicketkeeper available joins (eventually) on 20.5k, the Scotsman will strictly act as backup to Hosain but he's average aggression so may get the one-day cup games as well.

This of course means I'm going to be reliant on Critchley and/or McKiernan to offer a spinning option so we will likely be preparing a seaming pitch a lot of the time. Tom Wood can already open in t20s so will be going straight on coaching to work on his opening technique, I'm hopeful he'll at least be ready to open with Godleman in the one-day cup later in the season and depending on if he ends up playing at 5 or not may continue the coaching until he can open in the four day games as well to act as backup to Reece and Godleman.
    Last edited by Lynx54321; 08-09-2020, 05:12 PM.

Pre Season - Derbyshire vs Durham MCCU

The traditional pre season warm up and I've selected a largely second string side with the exception of Godleman who captains:

Godleman (C)
    Wallace (W/K)
    Priestley
    Wood
    Hughes
    McKiernan
    Hudson-Prentice
    Dal
    Conners
    Melton
    Aitchison

Straight shoot out between Hughes and Wood to bat at 5 in the first Championship game and there will probably be room for one of the all rounders in the first choice side as well.

Durham MCCU - First innings - 210 all out

The MCCU side chose to bat after winning the toss but were quickly bowled out within 2 sessions for 210 with no batsman passing 50. Hudson-Prentice (3-20) and Melton (3-33) were the pick of the bowlers with Conners and Aitchison picking up a wicket apiece and McKiernan finishing the tail off with 2-29.

Derbyshire - First innings - 523 all out

We batted for a rather brutal 109.4 overs piling up 523 off the hapless MCCU bowling. Almost everyone got a start with nobody other than our 10 and 11 scoring less than 20 although nobody passed the century mark either.

Godleman (69 off 77), Wood (79 off 122), McKiernan (73 off 83), Hudson-Prentice (92 off 80) and Dal (58 off 72) all made impressive 50s and Conners struck a punishing 46 off 35 to finish off the innings and give us a 313 run lead.

Durham MCCU - Second innings - 365 all out

Durham struck back with a rather impressive 365 in their second innings largely built around 117 from Steve Aylott who compiled his ton from 142 balls.

Bowling wise Sam Conners was the pick with his maiden five wicket haul coming at the cost of 102 runs. McKiernan picked up another 2 this time for 55 runs and Dal, Aitchison and Melton picked up a single wicket apiece to round things off.

Derbyshire - Second innings - 53 - 1

53 needed to win was always going to be pretty easy and we chased the target down in 7.1 overs with Godleman blasting 28 from 18 and Wallace 24 from 14 before being bowled with a single run needed. Priestley came in at 3 and promptly knocked off the 1 remaining run for an easy win.

Summary

An easy win as expected, no real surprises though Tom Wood seized his opportunity and will now start ahead of Hughes in the Championship opener. Hudson-Prentice also impressed with both bat and ball which is good to see and McKiernan doesn't look totally useless so I feel a bit better about potentially bringing him in if we rock up on any real turners. Conners and Melton also looked handy if our aging first choice attack is stuttering.
    Last edited by Lynx54321; 08-09-2020, 03:57 PM.

Comment

County Championship Round 1 - Derbyshire vs Leicestershire

So we start our campaign proper against local rivals and fellow minnow Leicestershire. No injuries so we've picked out strongest side:

Godleman (C)
      Reece
      Madsen
      Du Plooy
      Wood
      Critchley
      Hosain (W/K)
      Hudson-Prentice
      Abbott
      Palladino
      Rampaul

Leicestershire line up:

Malan
      Azad
      Ackermann (C)
      Dearden
      Cosgrove
      Hill (W/K)
      Taylor
      Lilley
      Griffiths
      Klein
      Davis

That top 3 looks potent but I'm confident that if we can get rid of them the rest of the line up poses less threat. Leicestershire won the toss and chose to bowl.

Derbyshire - First Innings - 455 all out

This looks to have been the wrong decision from Leicestershire as we hammered 455 from 132 first innings overs. Wayne Madsen scored 108 to top the scoreboard and was ably supported by Tom Wood who vindicated his selection with a handy 58. Surprisingly Stuart Abbott hit a pretty brisk 75 at the bottom of the order to boost our total. Deiter Klein was the pick of the bowlers with 5 for 123, Will Davis took 3 wickets but at the cost of 132 runs.

Leicestershire - First Innings - 240 all out

We managed to get rid of Malan (27) and Azad (33) relatively early and the rest of Leicestershire's side seemed ready to capitulate with wickets falling regularly, unfortunately for us Deiter Klein coming in at 10 had other ideas and struck a magnificent 74 off just 81 balls to take their total to an eventual 240 that should have been a lot lower. Rampaul was the pick of our bowlers with 4-33 with Abbott and Critchley taking 2 each. With a 215 run lead we decided to put Leicestershire back in to bat again taking advantage of the follow on.

Leicestershire - Second innings - 475 all out

Leicestershire made a much better fist of their second innings, Malan looked to be on his way hitting 44 from 67 before Rampaul had him caught behind but the rest of the top 5 all fired with Azad (64), Ackermann (97), Dearden (65) and Cosgrove (79) all hitting 50s. Lilley struck a rapid 49 whilst shepherding the tail to take them to a final score of 475 and a lead of 260. Stuart Abbott again bowled well taking 4-80 and was ably supported by the two veterans Palladino and Rampaul who took 2 each.

Derbyshire - Second Innings - 261 - 2

We started our second innings with a session and a half to play requiring 261 to win, judging by Leicestershire's second innings total the pitch looked to be holding up so I decided to go after the target hard. Godleman raced away scoring an unbeaten 111 off 127 balls and this proved more than enough to propel us to victory with room to spare. Reece only managed 22 but Madsen (64 from 57) and Du Plooy (56 of 45) supported the captain with us hitting the required 261 in 42.4 overs. Will Davis formerly of Derbyshire took the 2 wickets to fall but went at almost 8 an over in the process.

Summary

Great start to the season putting away our local rivals and very satisfying to chase down a reasonable target in such short order. 23 points from the game put us top of the table early doors.

Comment

County Championship Round 2 - Derbyshire vs Middlesex

After a solid win last time round there are no changes in our side:

Godleman (C)
        Reece
        Madsen
        Du Plooy
        Wood
        Critchley
        Hosain (W/K)
        Hudson-Prentice
        Abbott
        Palladino
        Rampaul

Middlesex line up:

Robson
        Gubbins
        de Silva
        Lace (W/K)
        Holden
        Simpson
        White
        Harris
        Roland-Jones
        Murtagh
        Cummins

This should be a bit of a step up for our side as I think that's a useful looking Middlesex side, particularily with the ball.

Middlesex - First Innings - 438 all out

The pitch was an absolute road and in good weather Middlesex's decision to bat first looked ominous for us and so it proved. Robson (100), Holden (106) and Simpson (131 not out) all struck centuries though fortunately nobody else really got going with the next best score 23 from Tom Lace who played on loan at Derbyshire last season. Our bowlers struggled a bit with Critchley taking 4-124 and Reece 2-61.

Derbshire - First Innings - 538 all out

We struck back well though, the pitch was still as flat as a pancake and without a cloud in the sky we set about chasing down and then exceeding the Middlesex score. Godleman continued his fine form with a big century (158 off 298) and was backed up by Madsen (91) and Wood who hit his third succesive 50 and was unlucky to miss out on a century being clean bowled by James Harris on 97. Hosain (67) and Hudson-Prentice (63) also provided quick runs down the order. The Middlesex attack shared the wickets around though all were expensive.

Middlesex - Second innings - 90 all out

I felt pretty good going into the second innings with a 100 run lead though with the pitch still looking flat and time drawing on suspected a draw was the most likely result. As it turned out Ravi Rampaul (3-22) and Fynn Hudson-Prentice (5-12) had other plans and set up absolutely skittling Middlesex!

Summary

An innings and 10 run victory is a really pleasing result here as I'd have taken the draw after the first innings. Hudson-Prentice picked up a deserved man of the match award and is looking handy with both bat and ball. Critchley has a more impressive record but I'm beginning to think they're batting the wrong way round in our batting line up.

Comment

County Championship Round 3 - Derbyshire vs Nottinghamshire

Once again we start unchanged following two wins on the bounce:

Godleman (C)
          Reece
          Madsen
          Du Plooy
          Wood
          Critchley
          Hosain (W/K)
          Hudson-Prentice
          Abbott
          Palladino
          Rampaul

Nottinghamshire line up:

Duckett (W/K)
          Mullaney
          Nash
          Clarke
          Patel
          Hameed
          Trego
          Paterson-White
          Broad
          Carter
          Abbas

Another step up from the Middlesex game, this lineup looks pretty potent to me and I think will be a stern test of our current form.

Derbyshire - First Innings - 238 all out

We chose to bat first on what looked like a great pitch to bat on and in great weather. Unfortunately we seemed unable to really capitalise with Madsen (54) and Wood (70) the only batsman to offer much resistance as we slumped to 238 with Hosain also adding 44 down the order. Abbas and Broad proved their quality taking 3 wickets each.

Nottinghamshire - First Innings - 128 all out

My judgement that this was a good batting pitch didn't seem to bare out with us having no trouble blowing through the Nottinghamshire batting order in just less than 40 overs! Rampaul was absolutely inspired taking 6-45 and fellow veteran Palladino got in on the act taking 3-26.

Derbyshire - Second innings - 322 all out

Big test here on what was proving to be a bit of a minefield. This innings actually panned out similar to the first with Madsen (61) and Wood (74) once again hitting 50s, this time support from Reece (52) and a few more players getting starts and into the 20s and 30s allowed us to set a target of 434 which I felt pretty confident with despite the pitch still looking good.

Nottinghamshire - Second Innings - 178 all out

My confidence proved well founded with Notts dispatched without too much fuss with only Samit Patel (63) offering much with the bat. Rampaul (4-43) completed an impressive ten-for and we've won three on the bounce!

Summary

Really pleased with that result. We'd had a great start and I wondered whether this strong looking Notts side would be a bit of a wake up call for us but we swept them away handily. We currently sit top of D2 after 3 games on 66 points with Worcestershire second on 51.

Tom Wood has been a revelation with 5 succesive 50s and looks to be making that spot at 5 his own. The veterans Madsen (1 ton, 4 50s) and Rampaul (19 wickets at 13.63) look to be in great nick as well so I'm feeling very positive about how this season is going. Next up we have Durham at home.

Pleasingly Harvey Hosain has also improved his wicket keeping.

Comment

You’ve had a great start to your save! Derbyshire were good fun for me last year, Logan van Beek was our star performer over about four years - someone did the maths and found out he got MOTM in 25% of the games he played! Hudson-Prentice is a great talent, hope he does well for you in-game.

Comment

Originally posted by MateGaming View Post
              You’ve had a great start to your save! Derbyshire were good fun for me last year, Logan van Beek was our star performer over about four years - someone did the maths and found out he got MOTM in 25% of the games he played! Hudson-Prentice is a great talent, hope he does well for you in-game.
              Cheers mate. I actually finished my first sesson whilst waiting for this topic to be approved as not spam. So I'll probably write up a season review type thing and kick back off in season 2. Enjoyable save so far though!

Comment

Working...
              X