Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New here - need some advice? (Tips and advice thread)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New here - need some advice? (Tips and advice thread)

First off, what a thoroughly wonderful game. I've had it about a week and put in something like 50 hours already! Big thanks to the developers, and I hope the updates and development keeps coming.

Secondly, I'm struggling. I've got 2 games going at the moment - on normal as Essex and on easy as Leistershire. In both I find that I draw most of my county cricket games, and lose maybe 3 out of 4 of my short format outings. My batting seems to start out reasonable enough early in the season and deteriorate as it goes on (I've only played the first season so far). My bowling - well neither squad is very strong in that department so I don't expect much and get even less.

Anyway just wondering if there's something obvious I'm doing wrong or whether this is about par for the course?

Hi,

Well, Leicestershire are one of the tougher teams to play as (even on Easy). Don't think Essex are too amazing either.

What pitch types do you use for home games? I find if you pick batting pitches then you get a lot more drawn matches. I like to get my batsman on to 4 bars once they're settled and sometimes on to 5 and maybe even 6 with my most aggressive players so I can get that run rate up to 4.

With regards to bowling, check the batsman preferences (highlights their name on PC/Mac or tap on their name for tablet/phone) and don't bowl to their strengths. In one day games, if you take wickets early, keep your best bowlers on. I think getting a team to 60-4 after 15 overs compared to 60-2 or 3 is well worth losing some of your better bowlers for overs at the end. Generally, I like picking wicket taking bowlers for your one day and 20 over sides.

I know some on here have had success by bowling outside off-stump as well.

In one day and 20over games, I've had much more success since I started playing ball-by-ball at crucial stages of the game, particularly death overs. It doesn't take as long as i thought it would when I picked up the suggestion from someone on here.

For batting, well, I like to pack my top four with my best batsman. It sounds obvious, but don't waste your best players at 5 and 6 in short formats.

I tend to pick the "lesser" sides for my saves, it can take 2-3 seasons to start signing the players you want that will get you the success you need.

Comment

Thanks Sureshot, that's good advice.

I tend to play spinning or seaming pitches when at home, but I suspect that I'm too defensive when batting. I tend to spend the first 10 overs on 1 bar aggression, and never go about 3 bars. So I'll try to bat a bit more positively

The other thing I've started paying more attention to as well is my players form, and I think that's paying dividends too.

Comment

Some more questions:

1. What is the difference between normal and easy modes? Is there a difference in things like salary caps, and what changes with the game mechanics?
        2. Does a player's form actually have an influence on how they play in a game? It certainly seems to.
        3. Does fitness affect how a player plays, beyond an increased likelihood of injury?
        4. How does end of season funding work for the English domestic scene? It looks like you get some sort of bonus for performing well in the various competitions - is that right? And is the base funding fixed?
        Last edited by Raver; 04-26-2015, 11:30 PM.

Comment

I don't know if it is my imagination, but my batsmen do seem to fare better in the first class games when I pay attention to the highlights for dot balls. One takes note when there's a played-and-missed or an edge, but there are details in the highlights that don't show up in the commentary.

Often a batsman on 2 or 3 bars of agression seems to go for a big shot and nick behind after playing out several dot balls. Recently I've been trying to reduce the aggression when the player is unable to break the deadlock, or after inside edging an attempted expansive drive, wait for a few defenses off the middle of the bat, a few singles and then increase aggression again. It seems to work most of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Raver View Post
            Some more questions:

1. What is the difference between normal and easy modes? Is there a difference in things like salary caps, and what changes with the game mechanics?
            2. Does a player's form actually have an influence on how they play in a game? It certainly seems to.
            3. Does fitness affect how a player plays, beyond an increased likelihood of injury?
            4. How does end of season funding work for the English domestic scene? It looks like you get some sort of bonus for performing well in the various competitions - is that right? And is the base funding fixed?
            Normal mode is considerably harder to do well in, particularly if you have a slightly weaker team.
            A players form very much influences their performance, particularly the batsmen. A string of good scores will increase form, and a string of bad performances will lower it.
            Fitness doesn't have a big impact on players as far as i can tell beyond injuries, at max they perform slightly less well.
            Just like in real life, if you do well in a tournament, you receive prize money, which increases the amount you can spend. And i do believe that base funding is fixed, with any variations coming in bonuses.

hope that answers your questions

Comment

Working...
            X