Custom Field Placements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Field Placements

This isn't CC2015 specific, but a more general musing.

I have been recently experimenting with custom field placements. I have a feeling that it's helping me to improve my bowling performances, but it's still too early to be sure. A couple of things I've been trying (with seamers bowling) along with observations:

1. Packing the field square of the wicket for batsmen with strong backfoot preference. They don't seem to go for the straight drives at least early on in their innings.
    2. Putting a gully in a defensive field seems to be doing wonders in stopping singles. Same with a backward square leg. Also been keeping mid-off and mid-on fairly close in until the batsmen get set.

I'm curious to know whether any of you have been experimenting with custom fields. I'd be really grateful if some of you can share your experiences and (potential) insights.

Originally posted by kishorea View Post
    This isn't CC2015 specific, but a more general musing.

I have been recently experimenting with custom field placements. I have a feeling that it's helping me to improve my bowling performances, but it's still too early to be sure. A couple of things I've been trying (with seamers bowling) along with observations:

1. Packing the field square of the wicket for batsmen with strong backfoot preference. They don't seem to go for the straight drives at least early on in their innings.
    2. Putting a gully in a defensive field seems to be doing wonders in stopping singles. Same with a backward square leg. Also been keeping mid-off and mid-on fairly close in until the batsmen get set.

I'm curious to know whether any of you have been experimenting with custom fields. I'd be really grateful if some of you can share your experiences and (potential) insights.
    Hi mate

Which format is this for?

I always use custom field settings for limited over games but not FC.

I'm not sure my placing are amazing but I'm sure they reduce the scoring by quite a few throughout the innings

Comment

These were in first class games.

Comment

Played out an absolute thriller as Glamorgan (250 & 235) who beat Essex (236 & 241) by 8 runs. The fields used were the following.

Field 1: Aggression level 4 - for new batsmen at the crease
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Med-Mid-4-attack.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	53444

Field 2: Aggression level 3 - once batsmen had scored a couple of boundaries and showed signs of settling; objective is to cut out easy singles

Name:	Med-Mid-3-attack.jpg
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	53445

Field 3: Aggression level 3 - once batsmen seem to be settled and easily exploiting gaps in Field 2 or seem to be comfortable going over the top of infield. This is the same as the default level 3 field for middle stump line, except that 2nd slip becomes a gully, to stop easy singles.

Name:	Med-Mid-3-defensive.jpg
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	53446

These were the only three fields used in the entire game. The plan was to go to the default 0 level aggression field if these didn't work, but thankfully no batsman became so well set, in what ended up being a low-scoring game.
        Last edited by kishorea; 07-18-2015, 03:21 AM.

Comment

Played out an absolute thriller as Glamorgan (250 & 235) who beat Essex (236 & 241) by 8 runs. The fields used were the following.

Field 1: Aggression level 4 - for new batsmen at the crease
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]1640[/ATTACH]

Field 2: Aggression level 3 - once batsmen had scored a couple of boundaries and showed signs of settling; objective is to cut out easy singles
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]1641[/ATTACH]

Field 3: Aggression level 3 - once batsmen seem to be settled and easily exploiting gaps in Field 2 or seem to be comfortable going over the top of infield. This is the same as the default level 3 field for middle stump line, except that 2nd slip becomes a gully, to stop easy singles.
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]1642[/ATTACH]

These were the only three fields used in the entire game. The plan was to go to the default 0 level aggression field if these didn't work, but thankfully no batsman became so well set, in what ended up being a low-scoring game.
          Very impressive mate

Did you use these for all you bowlers? - so spin and seam?
          Where were you aiming for - off/middle & off?

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Van Dykes Disco Dog View Post
            Very impressive mate

Did you use these for all you bowlers? - so spin and seam?
            Where were you aiming for - off/middle & off?
            Had four seamers in the team (all RM/RFM), so I used the same fields and constantly bowled a middle-and-off line.

Comment

Had four seamers in the team (all RM/RFM), so I used the same fields and constantly bowled a middle-and-off line.
              Great - thanks mate

Comment

Did you have different fields depending on offside or leg side batting preference?
                Or just adapt the 3 you listed depending on where the shots were being played?

Comment

Did you have different fields depending on offside or leg side batting preference?
                  Or just adapt the 3 you listed depending on where the shots were being played?
                  This particular game I didn't bowl middle-and-leg or outside off. I started out with middle-and-off and since the wickets kept coming, I didn't have to bowl outside off.

There are a few custom fields I've been trying when bowling outside off, which I'll post here sometime. I don't do much tweaking once I set the field, that becomes a bit of a drag.

Comment

This particular game I didn't bowl middle-and-leg or outside off. I started out with middle-and-off and since the wickets kept coming, I didn't have to bowl outside off.

There are a few custom fields I've been trying when bowling outside off, which I'll post here sometime. I don't do much tweaking once I set the field, that becomes a bit of a drag.
                    When I'm playing limited overs I tend to take set the highlights for boundaries so I can adjust the filed accordingly - that would become a bit tedious for the 4-5 day game but then again it could be worth it!

I'm pretty sure the guide mentions for seamers to aim for middle n off for new batsmen then switching to off once they are settled - So you're on the money here.

Comment

When I'm playing limited overs I tend to take set the highlights for boundaries so I can adjust the filed accordingly - that would become a bit tedious for the 4-5 day game but then again it could be worth it!

I'm pretty sure the guide mentions for seamers to aim for middle n off for new batsmen then switching to off once they are settled - So you're on the money here.
                      What guide is that?

Comment

Originally posted by RVallant View Post
                        What guide is that?
                        the game manual

Comment

Has anyone else got some custom field settings they would like to share? I found this thread very instructive.

Comment

Working...
                          X