Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Batting Aggression Model

Hi,

I really wish there was a realistic cricket simulator and given how this game is a good effort, I wish they could make a proper effort in a couple of areas.

The main thing affecting the probability distribution of results of any given ball in cricket is the aggression level of a batsman.

I think it's pretty obvious that of any given ball, even incompetent batsman such as Jasprit Bumrah batting with full aggression (in real life) facing Mitch Starc is likely to score more runs per ball, than an all time great, Steve Smith playing normally in a Test Match facing Joe Root. This is the extreme amount of impact that batting aggression levels have on runs as well as dismissal probability in real life.

The main failing of this engine is that batting aggression while have 8 bars, does not remotely correspond to the degrees of aggression possible in cricket meaning players simply do not follow instructions.

8 bars of aggression ought to mean the most aggressive batting efforts possible. A T20 mode guy going after every single delivery without exception. Especially in a simulation, I should be able to have my batsmen TRY to do that if I want them to. Whether this is advisable or not is secondary, but you can bat with full aggression and still see 'no stroke' in a T20 match. That's just absolutely absurd.

I don't mind having 8 bars cover all possible levels of aggression, but maximal aggression should mean that. I want my players hitting every single ball as hard as they can if that's the instruction. I also think 0 bars doesn't fully correspond to 'I'm batting to save a Test and runs are utterly irrelevant", inasmuch as it isn't defensive enough on 0 bars. The end effect is that you simply don't have enough control over how your players bat, as they just don't diverge much no matter what levels of aggression you stipulate.

There has to be some way to properly model aggression and batting intent.

i couldn't agree more. it is really frustrating needing 10 to win from last over with set batsman and 3 balls are left to go through even though set on max aggression. it is just not realistic anyway you want to look at it. this has been going on for a lot of versions as well. is it really such a big issue to fix? i would like to hear if it really is.

Comment

Working...
    X