Field Placings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Field Placings

I know this topic tends to come up every year, but with the tweaks to the AI with regards counter-acting an off-side field, does anyone have any decent custom field settings? I've still got links to the existing threads about field placings and tactics, but in the event these aren't as effective in the current version I'd appreciate any other successful layouts.

Field settings is something I really struggle with too, being a more passive cricket fan.

If anyone out there wants to share their custom field files I will be a happy recipient...

Comment

I found this piece when researching about field placings.

PitchVision.com - An interactive platform for the sports community. Watch Multisport Live Matches, Match Highlights and Personalised Player Videos. Explore Interactive Video Scorecard, Articles and Podcast.

I use this as a core field placing i first class matches, then adapt according to the situation. The six core placings can be flexible, If I'm bowling at middle and off I generally place one of the spare fielders in the covers, the other two in the slips, and move fine leg to silly point. If a batsmen is scoring heavy in one area, I move a slip fielder, or both, to those areas to stem the flow of runs and try and force the batsmen into finding other areas in the hope they will make a mistake.

Its no waving of a magic wand, but if you go by the template of the six placings it helps you understand field placings more.

To be honest I find the custom fields work well.

Comment

Thanks Postman that's quite useful.

I was always taught to aim for top of off on a good length, but I'm unsure how that would translate into the game engine as I know last year an increase in the slip involvement was tweaked into the game. I like to keep a short leg in there, as there have always been a high degree of inside edges off most bowlers going there.
        I've also found you can have the slips fairly widely spaced to cover more ground and catches are generally still taken.

One tactic I tend to use where I'm on the back foot is to look at the batsmen's strengths and bowl to the weaknesses. If they have a preference for the front foot/off side I tend to bowl short on a leg side line. The default fields are good to adjusting to this.

There's nothing wrong with being efficient and plugging away middle/off on a good length with 3 bars aggression (the games own help text suggests this is how bowlers perform best) and there isn't any reason why strictly using the default feels won't win you games, but any fielding tweaks and custom fields that can strangle the AI would be an advantage!

Comment

I'm still using stacked offside fields in limited overs matches but am finding it a lot less effective than in previous versions. The main reason for this is because of the increased % of sixes. This is a good thing!
          YouTube
          Facebook

Comment

I'm glad people are noticing the changes to the engine. The effect can be quite subtle, but we've put a lot of work into balancing this. It's one of the things that keeps evolving and I hope, one day. we'll have the definitive match engine. I make the improvements where people point out weaknesses each year and where the balance feels wrong. Then it takes a year of playing to find the next set of tweaks to make. I think it's pretty solid this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Child View Post
              I'm glad people are noticing the changes to the engine. The effect can be quite subtle, but we've put a lot of work into balancing this. It's one of the things that keeps evolving and I hope, one day. we'll have the definitive match engine. I make the improvements where people point out weaknesses each year and where the balance feels wrong. Then it takes a year of playing to find the next set of tweaks to make. I think it's pretty solid this year.
              I agree. Any plans to make add custom field settings to dropbox?

The new one day match engine is amazing by the way. Now just because someone is great at FC cricket does not mean they will take to limited overs, just as in real life.
              Last edited by bryce87; 08-21-2018, 01:13 AM.
              YouTube
              Facebook

Comment

I've lost all my custom field placings having not played the game for a few months!!

Comment

Working...
                X