Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opponent analysis

Hello all,

A quick question relating to something I'm about to do on my game...

Has anyone gone so far to analyse opposition batsmen and see how they got out in their previous matches?

For instance, I know that I have Lancashire as my next match after the current one I'm playing. During the intervals of my current match, I plan to have a look at how Lancashire are doing and analyse how their batsmen got out. I hope that this might help me in getting them out when I come to play them....

Just wondering if anyone else has tried this, and if they found it a worthwhile exercise to do.

Whoops, perhaps I should have checked before asking!! It seems we can't do that analysis because that level of details (where the batsmen score runs and get out) isn't available in matches that you are not directly involved in. That is a shame :(

Comment

I always look at the summary "in match" which shows front/back foot preference and bowling preference and if an individual gets settled or is free scoring, or indeed if the runs are tight... I adjust tactics to bowl to his weaknesses (the preferences not listed).

You can look at the averages, or indeed an opponents squad to see recent scores and averages... and indeed look at individuals in more detail to see form trends on the graphs same as you would for your own players. But generally I haven't done this much unless I've been managing England and looking at potential members of the squad.

Comment

Yep, great points, which I already do, I am looking for a extra level of insight into the opposition...

I have just started keeping note of where each of the opposition batsmen score runs against me. In the 1st innings, I take note where a batsman mainly scores his runs, for instance, Leicestershire's Ackerman scored most of his runs through point. Then when it came to the 2nd innings, I posted a man at point straight away.

Similarly, I take note how I get batsmen out, whether it be bowling short, or immediately after I switch the line to outside off. I used this information for inspiration rather than guidance in the 2nd innings!

I don't know if I was just lucky, but I managed to bowl Leicestershire out for under 100 in the second innings using the information I gleaned from the 1st innings!!

Coincidentally, I played Leicestershire again in the very next 4 day match, after the 20-20 interruption, and I used this information again to restrict them to just over 150. Again, I'm not sure in this was down to this strategy or just good bowling.

Has anyone else attempted or is practicing this strategy? I'm going to do this for the rest of my season to see if there's any discernable trend after a few games.

Comment

Working...
        X