Zimbabwe Test Highlights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zimbabwe Test Highlights

I'm guessing there won't be too many, at least initially!

I hope you like long tails! Good luck
    Last edited by bryce87; 03-08-2019, 12:02 PM.
    YouTube
    Facebook

Comment

A good win against an Afghanistan side that isn't actually that bad.

Last edited by GrahamB; 03-08-2019, 08:07 AM.

Comment

How often would a test last a full five days, with one side only taking five wickets and managing to draw?

Comment

Originally posted by bryce87 View Post
          I hope you like long tails! Good luck ??
          Cheers buddy.

Comment

Into 2021 and finally a couple of young promising batsmen have appeared on the domestic scene.
            Look out for opening batsman Temba Bensfield (also a handy part-time fast bowler) and middle order batsman Devlin Ackerman.

Comment

Our first win away from home, but boy, they had us sweating there for a while!

Comment

Nice win. I am guessing that Test matches would be your preferred format, with a solid selection of bowlers and batting down to 7?

I suspect that competing in limited overs matches is your biggest challenge, with a brittle batting lineup and poor allround options.

Watching with interest
                YouTube
                Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by bryce87 View Post
                  Nice win. I am guessing that Test matches would be your preferred format, with a solid selection of bowlers and batting down to 7?
                  For sure!
                  Yes - I'm guessing that the shorter forms would be difficult.

Comment

This is by far the hardest challenge I've had to face.

Most of Zimbabwe's best players are nearing the end of their careers and there's not much else on offer.

Hoping that eventually some promising youngsters appear. At present, batsman Devlin Ackerman is the only one showing possible potential.

Comment

THE STATE OF ZIMBABWEAN CRICKET AT THE START OF 2022

Following home defeats to both Ireland and Afghanistan last season, Zimbabwean cricket has plummeted to a new low point.

Opening Batsmen
                      We have a tidy pool of average players to choose from here.
                      25 year old Mohammed Eklakh and 23 year old Temba Benfield are the incumbents, but neither has yet to establish their spot.

Waiting in the wings, in likely order of preference, are 29 year old Tendai Marumu (who looked like he'd cemented himself a spot, but had a drop off in form), 24 year old Edward Byrom, 25 year old Trevor Chibvongodze, and 30 year old Kudzai Maunze.

Other Batsmen
                      Sadly, with no real new talent emerging yet, we still have to rely upon 36 year olds Brendan Taylor and Craig Ervine.
                      31 year old keeper/batsman Peter Moor has taken over the captaincy and is a solid performer. Second choice keeper is 32 year old Richmond Mutumbami.
                      35 year old Sikandar Raza has been holding down the number 3 spot and shown himself to be a real fighter. However, his form has now started to drop away, so that might leave a spot to fill. 27 year old Ryan Burl might earn himself a further chance, following his excellent domestic form, although he didn't impress in his previous four tests.
                      We are likely to persist with 21 year old Devlin Ackerman, as he's really the only youngster showing possible promise. However, in his eight tests to date, he has only hit a couple of half centuries.

Next cab off the rank is likely to be 27 year old Tarisai Musakanda, whom we've given previous test experience too.

Tried without success have been 35 year old Sean Williams, 29 year old Baxon Gopito and 31 year old Ngoni Mupamba. We are unlikely to use any of them in future.

All-Rounders
                      None have been tried yet, but 30 year old Neville Madziva has always been in the background, and with his batting form having been good, he might get a chance

Pace Bowlers
                      34 year old Donald Tiripano continues to be the spearhead of attack. 31 year old Tendai Chatara formed a useful partnership with the new ball, but his performances have fallen off and he was eventually dropped.
                      We've tried the following bowlers without any standing out as yet - 27 year old Cuthbert Musoko, 26 year old Carl Mumba (who might get further chances), 25 year old Blessing Muzarabani (another who might see further action), 29 year old Victor Nyauchi, 35 year old Shingarai Masakadza, 33 year old Kyle Jarvis and 29 year old Brighton Zhawi.
                      22 year old Siphelele Walsh is one that we're keeping an eye on.

Spin Bowlers
                      26 year old Herbert Chikomba is the incumbent, with second options being 25 year old Brandon Mavuta and 24 year old Rugare Magarira.
                      Also tried have been 28 year old Wellington Masakadza (still an option) and 35 year old Graaeme Cremer.
                      The good news is that we have a promising youngster, 18 year old David Joubert, who could well turn out to be better than all of them.

Comment

After being bundled out for an all time low of 60 all out in the 1st Test, we shocked everybody in the 2nd Test with our first win over Bangladesh.
                        The decision to drop Brendan Taylor and bring in Tarisai Musakanda at number three proved to be an inspired one.

Comment

Joubert looks exciting! Together with Mavuta and Magarira your spin bowling stocks are very well served - they should be able to win you a few test matches!

I would definitely persist with Muzarabani in all forms as he has knocked me over a few times (i'm in my third Afghanistan save!)

With regard to the batting you should start getting some good regens coming through soon which will give your top order a much needed boost. I have seen some very good regen Zimbabwean batsmen!

In saying that I have never once seen a decent regen Zimbabwean allrounder, in all of CC18. And I have played multiple games past 2030 (hence my long tail comment) so don't hold out hope! At least Mavuta can bat decent but #7 in ODI's is too big of a task. I think Burl can bowl decent leg break but hopefully you can come up with some plan that works in the shorter forms. Good luck!
                          YouTube
                          Facebook

Comment

Great to hear of your experiences with Zimbabwe.

Ryan Burl has been a bit of a flop in my save.

Blessing Muzarabani, Carl Mumba and 35 year old Donald Tiripano are my current pace trio in 2023, with Cuthbert Musoko and Tendai Chatara as back-ups.

Another young spiiner by the name of Lungelo Stephenson has entered the scene, so might well be a second spinner ahead of ,Brandon Mavuta and Rugare Magarira. David Joubert is top dog.

Currently on a tour of England, so have taken along a couple of emerging young batsmen to try out. Have also taken along Jaylord Gumbie as back-up keeper for Peter Moor.
                            37 year old Brendan Taylor was not selected in the touring squad, while Craig Ervine has retired, so very much a new look to the batting line-up.

Main issue with the batting is the opening batsmen. Have rarely had decent opening stands.

Only had three test centuries scored by Zimbabwean batsmen in the past five years - Brendan Taylor, Peter Moor and Tarisai Musakanda.

Comment

Have you given up getting continuously bundled out Graham?
                              YouTube
                              Facebook

Comment

Working...
                              X