Very high test match run rates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very high test match run rates

Hi all, I have found that while playing a test match between SA and England, the SA run rate was around 5.50/over, which is significantly higher than real life rates. This is also on bowler aggressions of the default (basically the middle of the bar), so this surprised me.

Yeah the CC19 first class match engine is biased towards aggressive batsmen for some strange reason. A very aggressive batsman will score at about a 70 strikerate on two bars of aggression, despite the TRR reading 3.2 which should equate to a 53 strikerate.

I thought CC18 was not that far off so am a bit disappointed that they over adjusted by so much without testing the engine properly. In any case you can adjust by dropping down a bar when bowling to aggressive batsmen (you will still get pumped now and then, but less so) and by using quality aggressive batsmen in your own side.

This leads on to my other big gripe about the game. Aggressive batsman now dominate FC cricket but still do not dominate T20 cricket. The easiest batsmen to score quick runs with in the T20 engine are average/defensive batsman. This could not be more backward!

Part of the problem is the limitation of the aggression settings available. If a very aggressive batsman is on six bars of aggression their TRR is 7.0 (117 strikerate). If you move them up one aggression their TRR jumps to 9.4 (157 strikerate). An average batsman on six bars has TRR 6.2 (103 strikerate) and on seven bars 8.6 TRR (143 strikerate).

Six aggression bars is normally quite safe in T20s. But when on seven bars very aggressive batsman lose their wicket very easily. However average aggression batsman seem to score quite freely on seven bars. This means that the level of risk applied to aggression settings is based on scoring rates, which is inherently flawed. This is based on a huge sample size of playing T20s on both CC18 and CC19. It needs to be fixed as very aggressive batsmen should be dominating T20s.
    Last edited by bryce87; 07-12-2019, 11:57 AM.
    YouTube
    Facebook

Comment

If anyone has any successful strategies for bowling to Aggressive and Very Aggressive batsmen in first-class matches (or indeed any matches), I'd be very grateful for them. I've just checked the season's averages at the end of my current season in my current save and they're dominated by these kinds of batsmen to an extent I think I rarely saw in previous versions of the game. (This was a season with Leicestershire, who I picked purely because they seemed to have a dearth of aggressive batsmen - and it proved a much more harrowing experience than Northants, who have several...)

Comment

Unfortunately, the engine is flawed greatly for Test matches. I think the developers designed to improve the ODI match engine to suit present-day high scoring matches, and this in turn completely skewed the Test match engine, AI selection, etc. This cannot be corrected unless some major coding work is done. Either they are doing it (or) decided to ignore the complaints on the forum as it is too time-consuming. In any case, the 2020 version will definitely address this issue permanently.

Comment

The unrealistic part for me is if the AI loses a few early wickets, they continue to bat aggressively and pretty much bat themselves out of trouble. 80/3 in the first session turns into 380/5 by the end of day 1.

My Aus test team has two V. aggressive openers who regularly score a run-a-ball on 2 bars of aggression. IMO the One Day engine is greatly improved, but it seems to have rubbed off on the Test match engine.

South Africa/Pakistan/England regularly score 600s in under 2 days against my albeit abysmal bowling attack.

Comment

Working...
          X