Coaching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coaching

Does anyone know how coaching actually works in this game?

If I have a player on technique coaching are they slowly improving on the designated area or do they only improve when I get the news item "X has improved his defensive batting" as an example. Or does this news item denote a jump in the players ability outside the gradual improvement?

I think this is an area of the game that could be improved, a quick win would be having a tab within the coaching and physio page that lists all the improvements made during the season, it would be nice to be able to choose how intensely a player is coached as well. Perhaps "intense batting technique coaching" could result in some really significant improvement but whilst on it a player would be too tired to play much. Just an idea.

Further to this I've been playing more since the first post and I'm still baffled as to how coaching works and unsure if I'm often wasting time.

So from playing and trawling these forums it seems technique coaching is most beneficial for younger players.

I use it on all players under about 22 in game and have had sporadic 'success' in terms of messages about improvements.

Generally assigning coaching to improve aggression or train as an opener seems to get results in a reasonable timeframe. I've also seen an occasional message when assigning something specific like batting against pace coaching.

But what does middle order training do? Does it remove players ability to open? If so what is the benefit of this? As I understand it general batting technique can turn a bowler into an all rounder then they're positional preference just changes from playing them up the order so they wouldn't need middle order training.

I'm also unsure as to whether the specific coaching improvements only improve a players preference I.e pace bowling preference or whether they make an invisible "vs pace bowling" stat improve. I hope the latter as a preference for spin shouldn't mean a weakness for pace and vice versa.

General technique training seems to be hit or miss. I've had players on it for two years and got no improvement messages and then players get two improvement messages within a week. Is it supposed to be this inconsistent?

Would really appreciate some clarification from the devs on these points.

Comment

Same

I've had a 20 year old bowler on general coaching for about three months, then check the "coaching effect" to see it on 0%. Surely after three months there will be? Then about a week later boom he's improved his general technique. Happy days. He's still rubbish but maybe that's me.

I know there needs to be some realism. You can't get a 17 year old, stick him on batting coaching for five years then when he's 22 he scores double hundreds for fun. There has to be a plateau. At the moment, however, there seems to be a lack of clarity on what's happening. Maybe a "coaching progress" percentage which signifies the rise from one level to another. Although, the game seems to hide that kind of information (player ratings, for example) to create a more realistic and less "video game" feel. Which is a good thing I guess.

Excuse the ramblings, I basically want to know what coaching effect means because it's hard to interpret.

Comment

I will describe technique coaching as succinctly as possible: it pretty much does nothing so don't waste your time with it
        YouTube
        Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by bryce87 View Post
          I will describe technique coaching as succinctly as possible: it pretty much does nothing so don't waste your time with it
          This is quite the accusation, would be great to get some clarification from the devs.

Comment

the effects of technique coaching to your overall success in game are negligible, so you can ignore it & save your time

It is useless for international teams as you can apply coaching during series only which are of short durations so it takes lot of time for any change & international players are already good enough so change is marginal

In domestic teams it has some effects as you can apply it continuously for longer periods to a young player, so some positive changes do occur for that player in 2-3 years time

but still in 2-3 years you will definitely find better youth players directly in contracts at low prices too, so this not that important.
            Last edited by bhagwati; 09-21-2019, 10:44 AM.

Comment

I wonder if you're right Bhagwati.

Once again I must implore the devs to give us some clarification.

Chris Child

Comment

Sureshot Alright Nige. Can you shed any light or prod Chris?

Comment

The silence is deafening.

Comment

Originally posted by Lynx54321 View Post
                    And telling...

Truth be told I tried hard to get a discussion going on this topic in CC18 if you search the forum for "The Myth of Technique Training".

I ran a small experiment doing one save with technique training and one without. Concluded that any difference is likely down to natural variation across game saves, although my sample size was not enough to say that definitively.
                    YouTube
                    Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Lynx54321 View Post
                      Makes you wonder if they actually want us to buy next years game.

Comment

Neither Nigel or Chris have been active on the forum since the end of September. Hopefully they're busy grafting on the next patch but at some point we do need clarification on this issue.

The majority of young players at the start of the game never improve enough to become first team regulars so it seems that players do not significantly improve over time and coaching doesn't seem to impact this. Both of these are big issues.

Comment

I have always found net coaching to be far more effective than technique coaching in the game. I always use 40,000+ on my budget for coaching and spend it all on net coaching.

Comment

The only value I have found from coaching it to improve a players aggression level. The bias towards aggressive players in FC means taking a player from average to aggressive can have a decent impact on their performance. Did this with Sam Curran's batting (as England) recently and it seems to have made a big difference.

Comment

Originally posted by TomP View Post
                              The only value I have found from coaching it to improve a players aggression level. The bias towards aggressive players in FC means taking a player from average to aggressive can have a decent impact on their performance. Did this with Sam Curran's batting (as England) recently and it seems to have made a big difference.
                              This worked very well in an earlier version of the game (2012 maybe?) so I'll definitely be giving this a go. Could be very useful.

Comment

Working...
                              X