Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T20 Tips & Views

Hello all - First post!

First of all, as an intermediate cricket fan, both love the fun of the game and the learning its providing me for some of the more technical elements of the game, The one element that is impacting my enjoyment is my lack of success in the T20 mode.

I start with the caveat that I am not a cricket expert but when i play the game with the English First class series and the one day cup, I am able to get going fairly quickly and found the formats to offer a great balance of challenge and reward for me.

Sadly I can't say the same for the T20 format, i just don't get how to tackle it, I get thumped both in terms of bowling and batting every game against teams i know are poor in the T20 format. I've tried reading around these forums for tips and im running out of ideas, the following things below i do apply but i don't seem to get the results.

Generally, I try to bowl per ball rather than per over and mix in a lot of variation. I set me fielding aggression at either 1 or 2 and take it from there. I pick bowlers based on their economy and try to save a strike bowler for the end. Batting I play the first one or two overs per ball looking to get set at around 3 ore 4 aggression, lower the aggression if I'm ahead of the run rate in that over to get them set and move to six. I either play it wrong and don't set a commanding score or just get skittled. I've tried mixing the aggressions so i have one batter being more defensive so i always have a set batter when the strike man is out but this doesn't seem to get me results either.

I play as my local county who i watch quite a lot so i know i am playing the batters with the right aggression. I also play the bowlers i know work at T20 format but anecdotally I have spotted a slight mismatch in the bowlers the AI picks for T20 vs the ones I think should be picked. A good example is Stuart Broad who

Any ideas guys? This is my only bug-bear of an otherwise great game!
    Last edited by PhaetonUltra; 09-10-2019, 08:43 PM.

Try looking at my YouTube channel for tips. There is one where I play through an entire IPL season in an hour that may be of use.

It sounds like your bowling is not too far off but that you are batting far too defensively. However, it is also worth bearing in mind that the English pitches on CC19 are usually shite to bat on.
    YouTube
    Facebook

Comment

I keep it very simple. I always bowl at the lowest aggression and I always bat at one off the highest aggression apart from if I need to recover from a collapse. Win more than I lose.

Comment

Originally posted by bryce87 View Post
        Try looking at my YouTube channel for tips. There is one where I play through an entire IPL season in an hour that may be of use.

It sounds like your bowling is not too far off but that you are batting far too defensively. However, it is also worth bearing in mind that the English pitches on CC19 are usually shite to bat on.
        Thanks for the tips, im watching the video you mention.

I note you tend to bowl consistently at off stump over the wicket at a good length.

What's the thinking in this? Again I'm quite intermediate and understood variation to be important. Constantly switching between the lengths and off middle and leg. My understanding of the impact of this is a little weak.

I'm interested in your views on spin. I kinda agree with you when you suggest spinners are expensive but I persist with two of them because occasionally they are incredible, I assume this is the pitch with a dry pitch more effective?

Apologies for the bombardment of questions, Keen to learn!

Comment

Originally posted by PhaetonUltra View Post

Thanks for the tips, im watching the video you mention.

I note you tend to bowl consistently at off stump over the wicket at a good length.

What's the thinking in this? Again I'm quite intermediate and understood variation to be important. Constantly switching between the lengths and off middle and leg. My understanding of the impact of this is a little weak.

I'm interested in your views on spin. I kinda agree with you when you suggest spinners are expensive but I persist with two of them because occasionally they are incredible, I assume this is the pitch with a dry pitch more effective?

Apologies for the bombardment of questions, Keen to learn!
          Variation is a big key and I would advise you to use it as much as possible if you are playing ball by ball.

I am not a master by any means and still get pumped by other players online. I only use these strategies because they are fast, simple and I win most of the time.

With spin it is pretty much as you said. Even when the pitch wear is average/turning (favouring spinners) seamers still seem to do better in T20. I use spinners as more of a variation/partnership breaker. Throwing an over or two of spin on one bar of aggression in the power play also seems to work well, things like that. But yes certainly keep experimenting and let us know how you get on!
          YouTube
          Facebook

Comment

Conscious it was me looking for help but actually found a cool article that's helped me a bit, funnily enough, written by a bowler in the team I manage.

I think it details my problem well, I do well at first class country aiming at middle stump but that's not the way to go! Whe I do vary from middle stump I do go there as default and alter as a result of getting hit.

The left-arm seamer – who has played in the IPL and BBL – shares his expertise on how to succeed in Twenty20 cricket

Comment

Working...
            X