Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cde
    replied
    By batting strategy is probably the most relevent to this but also, I find, the trickiest part of the LO matches. On the whole I prefer to bowl first and know what I am aiming at unless the pitch is dead flat, in which case I bat first.

The batting aggression is easier in T20s so I'll go there first.

For the majority of the time I start at 7 bars (1st into the amber) and will stay there until the settled bar is halfway. There is then a decision to make about moving it up on a few criteria:
    • If the batsman's form is 70% it goes up one, if their form is below this I hang on until the last three overs.
    • If the weather is overcast I hang on until the bar turns a hint of green.
    • If I have just lost a wicket I hang on an over.
    • The run rate is getting away from me. If it creeps above whatever the average run rate I need I up the aggression because it is better to drag that down at the cost of a wicket than let it get away from you.

I deviate from this if it is a bouncy pitch in overcast conditions or turning square with excellent spinners bowling at me, in which case each batsman gets 6 balls at 6 bar aggression unless I'm in the last 4 overs.

Also, if I am chasing a big total I start off at 7 bars then move up the gears quickly, assuming that if they were batting at 8-9 an over so can I.

If I have wickets in hand I up to 8 with 3 overs remaining and 9 in the last. If I am setting a total and am down to the bowlers I bat at 7 bars because 5 from an over is better than 1 and a wicket.

Leave a comment:

• galvatron
    replied
    Originally posted by Cam View Post

But it comes down to tactics. Clearly you and I have proven it's not broken. I think people just need to keep trying different formulas before they express their frustrations. I think this is extremely close to real life.
    I don't think you can have read my comments properly then...

I'm now in 2030 and have played 20 games online. I only autoplay games if the result doesn't matter.

My previous tactics on 2020 were to conserve wickets and explode at the end.

As I recommended to others for 2021 was to go aggressive from the start...

Leave a comment:

• Wilted
    replied
    I've won a couple of T20 tournaments and have been more successful than in previous years but the middle and lower order collapses aren't just a thing that happen often, they happen almost all the time. If one of my openers doesn't make a good score, than I'm not getting anywhere near a par score. I can go from 0-100 in ten overs to all out for 120 regardless of aggression.

Cam and cde I would love to know your general strategy for T20s (and ODs if you're also successful at those) since you seem to have success at making decent scores.

Leave a comment:

• Cam
    replied
    Originally posted by cde View Post
    Cam I think there are different sorts of "complaints" in the forums. I find that when galvatron and saviopaes bring up some of the LO issues they have been having they are talking about the difference they see between real world T20 scores and patterns of play and their experience in game. They aren't slagging the game off but would like it to be closer to perfect than it is.

Like you I'm just not having these issues, but others are. The question is if this is down to tactics, player selection or match engine.

In my experience I find that a batting line up can be hitting 180-200 one season and be struggling to reach 150 the next. I move a few players about, drop a struggling player or two and the scores start building once more. I find it is selection rather than tactics or match engine.

However lots of people who play this game far more than me are having these issues or would like to see in real world tactics work closer to in game tactics. The issues must be there and talking about them doesn't mean you are slagging off the devs.
    But it comes down to tactics. Clearly you and I have proven it's not broken. I think people just need to keep trying different formulas before they express their frustrations. I think this is extremely close to real life.

Leave a comment:

• galvatron
    replied
    Cam, you're certainly very defensive over this game. I don't see your problem with us criticising the game... You're like someone from the government claiming a lack of patriotism for criticising them. it's what's happened on all the other incarnations of the forum.

As I've said before, compared to the previous versions.

1. There are more batting collapses in limited overs games, especially in the later overs.
    2. Scoring a high score in T20 (200+) and ODI (350+) is much harder due to this.
    3. The best big hitters i.e. Pant, Pandya, Buttler, Pollard cannot come in and hit the way they do in real life and did in the previous version of the game.
    4. It's incredibly difficult to increase the aggression with set batsmen
    5. A good score in T20 on the game is now 150-160 and in ODI it's about 260-275. These scores are easy to defend when we all know that on the previous version and in real life these are not often winning scores.

I would suggest if you dislike people pointing out the flaws in the game you no longer use the thread to snipe at others.

Thanks cde I see similar things to this. I'm 100-1 then 110-4 and then number 6 or 7 can get some runs.

Overall, I still feel that bowling is too powerful on the game compared to reality, especially in limited overs.

Leave a comment:

• cde
    replied
    Cam I think there are different sorts of "complaints" in the forums. I find that when galvatron and saviopaes bring up some of the LO issues they have been having they are talking about the difference they see between real world T20 scores and patterns of play and their experience in game. They aren't slagging the game off but would like it to be closer to perfect than it is.

Like you I'm just not having these issues, but others are. The question is if this is down to tactics, player selection or match engine.

In my experience I find that a batting line up can be hitting 180-200 one season and be struggling to reach 150 the next. I move a few players about, drop a struggling player or two and the scores start building once more. I find it is selection rather than tactics or match engine.

However lots of people who play this game far more than me are having these issues or would like to see in real world tactics work closer to in game tactics. The issues must be there and talking about them doesn't mean you are slagging off the devs.

Leave a comment:

• cde
    replied
    galvatron I think you play more than I do, so you probably see things overall that I don't. I do play different leagues, tournaments, etc but my heart yearns for Glamorgan in a way that is not entirely rational so spend most of my time there.

I have certainly found matches where the middle order fail to crack on after a good start or I push up the aggression and lose quick wickets, I just haven't found it happens as much as other people have.

I find that if I get a strong start and then lose one, or both, set batsmen to a really good bowler I put in a couple of lower order batsmen who get out quickly and then bring in my middle order. I find that I can soak up the best bowlers overs when they are on a roll and I am certainly going to lose wickets anyway. With the collapse out of the way my batsmen can get stuck in!

Leave a comment:

• saviopaes
    replied
    Why are some of you getting so irked about the word 'complain'. No one is complaining - it is what IT IS. If something doesn't quite work the way it is supposed to, it ought to be brought to the devs notice right?
    Call it a 'feedback' and not a complaint.

I'm yet to get the OD/ODI format going - its still nuts. I can barely get a few results my way-and I'm used to bull dozing my way through. Yes collapses happen but how do you explain 2 wkts every 2nd or 3rd ball when conditions show 'Perfect'? Something is definitely wrong.
    People need to chill here, as it is - we have suspect complaints that they might already be cheaters on the online game - who they are and naming them is not my job.

Corruption seems to be the order of the day in every field - be in now in online games too. When will people treat a game as a game - and not a competition to win it. Where has the enjoyment factor gone? That way the ATG (All Time Greats) games give me so much more peace.

Leave a comment:

• Cam
    replied
    Originally posted by galvatron View Post

No need to be a prick in your reply... You can see that also @savio is also complaining about this issue as are others in discussions online.

I am still winning games and online I'm ranked in the top 10.

My point is that it's not realistic as it's not that it can't happen - I understand what a batting collapse is...

I'm saying that it happens almost ALL the time.
    I must be playing a different game then, I make big scores regualrly around 180-215 but yes I get skittled for 60-100 occsionally, which happens in cricket.
    Most of the people on this forum are all complaining about small little things and it is starting to grind my gears. If you don't like the game then don't play it, pretty simple really.

I love this game, every version has gotten better over the years, I remember the white and green screens that were in the original games and even that was fun... It is about how you use tatics and the same tatic may work reguarly, you may need to change tactics as you go & adapt on the fly like what really happens.

This is probably the most realistc verison of the game so far and it is amazing the time and effort that has been put into it. Even more amazing is the amount of petty complaints about the game from people who arent happy with 1 coming off an over when the batsmen are set... .this happens in real life, watch the big bash - the hundred - IPL, it does happen and frequently... get over it and move on.
    Play the game - enjoy it for what it is a brilliant game that costs bugger all that can keep you enteratined for hours/days/months on end.4

Well done on getting to #10 overall - Im not a fan of the online game, people want to watch too many highlights and to me there is no point on watching them.

Leave a comment:

• galvatron
    replied
    Originally posted by Cam View Post

Mate this happens though in cricket. Bowlers can get onto of set bats for an over...

If it's too hard put it back on kids mode and play on
    No need to be a prick in your reply... You can see that also @savio is also complaining about this issue as are others in discussions online.

I am still winning games and online I'm ranked in the top 10.

My point is that it's not realistic as it's not that it can't happen - I understand what a batting collapse is...

I'm saying that it happens almost ALL the time.

Leave a comment:

• Cam
    replied
    cde I'm not seeing this at all in my game.

Top, top players fully settled and instantly get out once you up the aggression, even one notch.

Top, top players can't come in and hit the ball cleanly batting at numbers 3 or 4 and get out almost straight away in the death overs.

I still find that there's times when on full aggression batsmen are offering 'no stroke' when aiming for 10/rpo and there's been 1 from the over.

150 is usually a winning score offline for me and online I've not made much more than that either. If I make a big score it's almost always cos my openers get most of the runs.

In 50 overs I sit on 6 bars and because my openers are so good they can score at 6/7 an over, this gets me ahead before the inevitable collapse in the last ten overs.

I think the limited over engine is radically different and to me is really unrealistic.
    Mate this happens though in cricket. Bowlers can get onto of set bats for an over...

If it's too hard put it back on kids mode and play on

Leave a comment:

• galvatron
    replied
    cde I'm not seeing this at all in my game.

Top, top players fully settled and instantly get out once you up the aggression, even one notch.

Top, top players can't come in and hit the ball cleanly batting at numbers 3 or 4 and get out almost straight away in the death overs.

I still find that there's times when on full aggression batsmen are offering 'no stroke' when aiming for 10/rpo and there's been 1 from the over.

150 is usually a winning score offline for me and online I've not made much more than that either. If I make a big score it's almost always cos my openers get most of the runs.

In 50 overs I sit on 6 bars and because my openers are so good they can score at 6/7 an over, this gets me ahead before the inevitable collapse in the last ten overs.

I think the limited over engine is radically different and to me is really unrealistic.
    Last edited by galvatron; 08-01-2021, 09:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• cde
    replied
    IRL a lot of lower order batsmen are good for a couple of boundaries in T20, 4 balls, two 4s a swish at nothing and out. These are great players for adding runs at the end of the inning and I find that I achieve the same with 1-2 bars off the top depending on conditions and bowler. Bouncy pitch with an international quick bowler and I take it back to two off the top, flatish against a county pro and one off the top.

Leave a comment:

• cde
    replied
    I am winning games... I'm just winning by scoring 150 and then defending the total...

It's that players aren't behaving how they do in real life and for a cricket simulator that seems wrong.

The pros DO go out and hit runs quickly, I saw it on the 100 yesterday... but on the new version it is almost impossible.

Those of us complaining are complaining because tactics that are normal for cricket i.e. conserve your wickets and then score quickly at the end don't work on the game. I play cricket for a club and this is how we play our games, I've seen this tactic for the pros for decades, it's worked on all other versions of the game but on this game that tactic is almost impossible because even the top top players can't come in and hit 20 runs off 10 balls.
    Both last year and this I haven't found this to be an issue. I find players accelerate naturally as they settle then I can push it up. The top level of batting aggression is how my mate bats - swing bat with all your might, close eyes and hope!

Leave a comment:

• cde
    replied
    Still no issues with LO cricket and using the same tactics since...I don't know...CC12 maybe? Not sure.

From last year and into this I have found that my benchmark score of 150 in T20 is not always spot on. Some seasons I can't keep the opposition below 170 but then I too can score at that rate, other years I have only conceded over 150 three times in a season.

I am honestly not saying I got this sorted - some early seasons in a save are like a spiral of death but once I build a squad it is rare not to win a tournament except to a stand out display from the opposition.

My biggest strength is the bowling, I am lazy and impatient with LO cricket in general so have one setting and stick to it. I never used to think much into it but I do select bowlers who do well with my tactics rather than change tactics because an otherwise good bowler isn't performing.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X