No announcement yet.

T20 struggles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I personally believe this is the best version of the CC engine yet and hands down the best version overall.

The test matches have always been solid except for spinners being a bit too good. I'll be interested to see how things pan out once teams are predominately regens in this version.

T20 games are pretty spot on too. An unlucky over can change the course of a game still but that happens in real life too. Wickets falling too easily in the middle overs despite low aggression is a bit of an issue but minor in comparison to how it was.

ODs are kind of all over the place. Aggressions brings too many wickets for an innings to last 50 overs and waiting until the last part of the innings to score the bulk of your runs is too risky. Unless you have one high scoring batsman, you're not in with a chance. Building middle order partnerships doesn't seem to happen like real life teams do.

Considering the result of a cricket match is based on the individual efforts of 22 players, any and all of who can have a performance better or worse than expected, CC does an excellent job at simulating a real match accurately.

Edit: Fittingly the first OD match after I posted this I was bowled out for 182 while chasing 292 with my run rate being well below par. And ironically the second OD match after I scored 5-322 with three 50+ partnerships and then bowled the opposition out for 217. Maybe I'm just consistently inconsistent in the OD format.
    Last edited by Wilted; 07-31-2021, 06:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wilted View Post
      I personally believe this is the best version of the CC engine yet and hands down the best version overall.

The test matches have always been solid except for spinners being a bit too good. I'll be interested to see how things pan out once teams are predominately regens in this version.

T20 games are pretty spot on too. An unlucky over can change the course of a game still but that happens in real life too. Wickets falling too easily in the middle overs despite low aggression is a bit of an issue but minor in comparison to how it was.

ODs are kind of all over the place. Aggressions brings too many wickets for an innings to last 50 overs and waiting until the last part of the innings to score the bulk of your runs is too risky. Unless you have one high scoring batsman, you're not in with a chance. Building middle order partnerships doesn't seem to happen like real life teams do.

Considering the result of a cricket match is based on the individual efforts of 22 players, any and all of who can have a performance better or worse than expected, CC does an excellent job at simulating a real match accurately.

Edit: Fittingly the first OD match after I posted this I was bowled out for 182 while chasing 292 with my run rate being well below par. And ironically the second OD match after I scored 5-322 with three 50+ partnerships and then bowled the opposition out for 217. Maybe I'm just consistently inconsistent in the OD format.

I love the test match engine but as a cricket simulator it's not got limited overs games right at all.

A big part of limited over games is the batting side accelerating near the end. The last 10 overs can often go for over 100 but on the game that's pretty much impossible now and it wasn't on the previous editions.

Comment

On the same token, the last few overs can go for 20 with 6 wickets falling. Cricket is not consistent like that. All you need is one bowler to get their eye in and it changes the entire outlook.
        Nottinghamshire supporter and proud!

Comment

I get both sides here. From what I’ve seen this IS this best version of the game to date. In real life Yes there can be collapses at end of limited over games but I’d say on average a good percentage of t20 games should be minimum 170 and that doesn’t seem to be happening for many players. I think the issue may be no players seem to settle quickly and the case in real life now is lots of big hitters are capable of teeing off from ball one at the back end of an innings.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveK93 View Post
            On the same token, the last few overs can go for 20 with 6 wickets falling. Cricket is not consistent like that. All you need is one bowler to get their eye in and it changes the entire outlook.
            It's not that I don't believe that teams collapse in the latter overs... it's that after playing this game for several weeks and having some really good batsmen... I virtually never can score quickly at the end of the innings.

Even if I'm 250-1 from 40 overs it's still tough to get 300. Even against Zimbabwe on a road and having a fast start, getting a big total is difficult.

Both upping the aggression and having batsmen tee off from the start is virtually impossible. One of my best batters was on 140 not out in an ODI, as soon as I upped the aggression he always gets out.

It seems to me the only way to score a decent total is if you start well and your openers score 85% of the runs. So my advice is get two V agg openers and sit them on six bars for all the overs.

Comment

Cam I’m with you on this one. There’s not much wrong with either the One Day game or T20, AND I don’t struggle with either format.
              Check the players you’ve got in your teams, your tactics, batting selection and tinker with your field settings. It might be you as the Captain that’s causing poor performances, ever thought of that?
              I can win the English T20 format nearly every year and have just won the 20 World Cup with England, so that’s proof enough.
              No ones ever satisfied. If you can’t win then pack it up as a bad job and jump on Fifa, but get off their backs unless it’s constructive.
              Rant over.

Comment

Originally posted by galvatron View Post

It's not that I don't believe that teams collapse in the latter overs... it's that after playing this game for several weeks and having some really good batsmen... I virtually never can score quickly at the end of the innings.

Even if I'm 250-1 from 40 overs it's still tough to get 300. Even against Zimbabwe on a road and having a fast start, getting a big total is difficult.

Both upping the aggression and having batsmen tee off from the start is virtually impossible. One of my best batters was on 140 not out in an ODI, as soon as I upped the aggression he always gets out.

It seems to me the only way to score a decent total is if you start well and your openers score 85% of the runs. So my advice is get two V agg openers and sit them on six bars for all the overs.
                You up the aggression, batsman immediately starts playing riskier shots, increasing his chance of getting out. If you're at an ERPO of 10, that increases it even further.

Same as if you get a new batsman in and put them on 6/7 bars - speaking from experience, it's very difficult to go out and smash your first balls for 4 or 6, even for the pros.
                Nottinghamshire supporter and proud!

Comment

I also struggle with winning T20s - have for years in this game. I wonder whether one of the players on the forums who is reasonably consistently able to win them might consider doing a you tube series - perhaps just a Lets Play style one, or even a little bit of a tutorial?

Comment

I am winning games... I'm just winning by scoring 150 and then defending the total...

It's that players aren't behaving how they do in real life and for a cricket simulator that seems wrong.

The pros DO go out and hit runs quickly, I saw it on the 100 yesterday... but on the new version it is almost impossible.

Those of us complaining are complaining because tactics that are normal for cricket i.e. conserve your wickets and then score quickly at the end don't work on the game. I play cricket for a club and this is how we play our games, I've seen this tactic for the pros for decades, it's worked on all other versions of the game but on this game that tactic is almost impossible because even the top top players can't come in and hit 20 runs off 10 balls.

Comment

Depends who the players are. Look at Khawaja here and he’s only Ave Aggression. It’s no fluke as you can see! And he’s the same most years. Bairstow another, Pooran another.

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkie View Post
                        Depends who the players are. Look at Khawaja here and he’s only Ave Aggression. It’s no fluke as you can see! And he’s the same most years. Bairstow another, Pooran another.
                        The thread is about cc2021 match engine . You have posted a pic of 2020 I think. The match engine in cc20 was I think the best ever in cc series ( for limited over games)

Comment

Originally posted by Jamesy1984 View Post
                          I get both sides here. From what I’ve seen this IS this best version of the game to date. In real life Yes there can be collapses at end of limited over games but I’d say on average a good percentage of t20 games should be minimum 170 and that doesn’t seem to be happening for many players. I think the issue may be no players seem to settle quickly and the case in real life now is lots of big hitters are capable of teeing off from ball one at the back end of an innings.
                          I'd agree with that from what I've seen so far. Haven't played any 50-over games yet, but in the handful in T20s I've played it definitely seems better than previous editions to me, so I'm really surprised to see such severe criticism. As I've documented on this forum for previous editions, I've really struggled with T20 in the past, but immediately much more confident with it in this edition. I do get the point about slow scoring in later overs - it is night on impossible to hit the ground running with new batters coming in later on. But at least I haven't yet had any occurrences of the infuriating phenomenon that used to be a regular thing for me when my well-set, aggressive batters would inexplicably start blocking ball after ball in the last few overs. Definitely seems that that seems to have been fixed in this edition.

Comment

Still no issues with LO cricket and using the same tactics since...I don't know...CC12 maybe? Not sure.

From last year and into this I have found that my benchmark score of 150 in T20 is not always spot on. Some seasons I can't keep the opposition below 170 but then I too can score at that rate, other years I have only conceded over 150 three times in a season.

I am honestly not saying I got this sorted - some early seasons in a save are like a spiral of death but once I build a squad it is rare not to win a tournament except to a stand out display from the opposition.

My biggest strength is the bowling, I am lazy and impatient with LO cricket in general so have one setting and stick to it. I never used to think much into it but I do select bowlers who do well with my tactics rather than change tactics because an otherwise good bowler isn't performing.

Comment

Originally posted by galvatron View Post
                              I am winning games... I'm just winning by scoring 150 and then defending the total...

It's that players aren't behaving how they do in real life and for a cricket simulator that seems wrong.

The pros DO go out and hit runs quickly, I saw it on the 100 yesterday... but on the new version it is almost impossible.

Those of us complaining are complaining because tactics that are normal for cricket i.e. conserve your wickets and then score quickly at the end don't work on the game. I play cricket for a club and this is how we play our games, I've seen this tactic for the pros for decades, it's worked on all other versions of the game but on this game that tactic is almost impossible because even the top top players can't come in and hit 20 runs off 10 balls.
                              Both last year and this I haven't found this to be an issue. I find players accelerate naturally as they settle then I can push it up. The top level of batting aggression is how my mate bats - swing bat with all your might, close eyes and hope!

Comment

IRL a lot of lower order batsmen are good for a couple of boundaries in T20, 4 balls, two 4s a swish at nothing and out. These are great players for adding runs at the end of the inning and I find that I achieve the same with 1-2 bars off the top depending on conditions and bowler. Bouncy pitch with an international quick bowler and I take it back to two off the top, flatish against a county pro and one off the top.

Comment

Working...
                                X