Dropped Catches!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dropped Catches!

It is ridiculous that you have 4/5 catches being dropped in a match. Sometimes, 3-4 in one innings alone. Absolute nonsense. The whole game changes with one drop-especially that of a set batsman you've been lining up to get out.
    Sureshot - something to look into.
    In Tests - it isn't even far worse - apart from fielders, the wicket keepers are hopeless.
    However int20's it impacts more as one drop catch can easily translate into 40+ runs which changes the whole complexion of the game.
    Can something be done about this?

Recently played a Legends game - had 3 catches dropped (the first one at 75/7) - opposition went on to score 160+ which was beyond chaseable on that pitch.
    Very disappointing stuff in the 2021 version.

Question, what drives the quality of fielding and catching? Is there a hidden stat on the players? As last season I felt my team was good at catches and fielding where this year I feel like catches have gone down.

Comment

Originally posted by saviopaes View Post
      It is ridiculous that you have 4/5 catches being dropped in a match. Sometimes, 3-4 in one innings alone. Absolute nonsense. The whole game changes with one drop-especially that of a set batsman you've been lining up to get out.
      In Tests - it isn't even far worse - apart from fielders, the wicket keepers are hopeless.
      However int20's it impacts more as one drop catch can easily translate into 40+ runs which changes the whole complexion of the game.

Recently played a Legends game - had 3 catches dropped (the first one at 75/7) - opposition went on to score 160+ which was beyond chaseable on that pitch.
      It was an issue in the '20 version as well. I would estimate that my top line keeper drops 50-60% of chances, even with extra training under his belt. It is frustrating, but maybe the drops are a game balancing mechansim?

Comment

Are we referring to online play? I know saviopaes plays online through his posts on the forum, or gameplay in its entirety?
        Can’t say I’ve particularly noticed an increase in dropped catches? Ok there’s always a couple in matches but this is true in real cricket...just look at how many England put down v India in the tests. Fondly remember a ‘dolly’ going straight to Rory Burns (very safe hands) and he didn’t even “pick it up”! Another to Bairstow (magical hands) missed.
        It does happen..plus remember the “caught & bowled” chances have been reduced this version thankfully, so not as many definitive catches in that area off seam bowling. Has that had an impact?

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkie View Post
          Are we referring to online play? I know saviopaes plays online through his posts on the forum, or gameplay in its entirety?
          Can’t say I’ve particularly noticed an increase in dropped catches? Ok there’s always a couple in matches but this is true in real cricket...just look at how many England put down v India in the tests. Fondly remember a ‘dolly’ going straight to Rory Burns (very safe hands) and he didn’t even “pick it up”! Another to Bairstow (magical hands) missed.
          It does happen..plus remember the “caught & bowled” chances have been reduced this version thankfully, so not as many definitive catches in that area off seam bowling. Has that had an impact?
          The caught and bowled have reduced yes. What I've noticed is the c&b (bowler running backwards and taking the catch). But the dropped catches are (atleast I find) a little too much in this version. I mean, it has a direct impact on the match. Sometimes, all it needs is a well held catch and you hold the opposition by the scruff of the neck and choke them - but these dropped catched aaarrrggghhhhh!

NOT DONE.
          Yes, the online play. Offline play it does not happen that often.

Comment

Originally posted by Fitzroy FC View Post

It was an issue in the '20 version as well. I would estimate that my top line keeper drops 50-60% of chances, even with extra training under his belt. It is frustrating, but maybe the drops are a game balancing mechansim?
            I would agree with you about the 'balancing mechanism' but going all out aggro doesn't quite work either - all the time. So not sure how it all works out.

Comment

I find the it tends to be the same players who drop catches and I feel that whatever mechanism is used to rate them (and therefore sort them into positions on the field) is suspect. I am just finishing off testing my T20 tactics in another thread and by playing as different nations I have noticed how certain countries drop far more chances than others. The West Indies were, for some reason, awful but on the whole the weaker the team the more chances went down.

I've started keeping catching stats in my new save because I've never known if I am getting the impression that certain players are unreliable simply because they get more opportunities. Whenever I pick them the AI always places Nick Selman at first and Marnus Labuschagne at 2nd, who I immediately move on because they seem awful. I let it run over a season and Selam held on to 83% of his chances and Labuscagne 95%. I kept Labuscagne on for the next season and he carried on at two but I moved a different player into 1st slip. He held on to 96% of his catches.

If it's becoming an issue I would either keep stats so that I was sure that it was as much of an issue as I thought it was or move the players about.

Comment

Dropped catches seem to be similar. With the exception of the caught and bowled.

Whoever is at first slip seems to drop a lot, despite the fact that the CPU will put your best catcher there. Lots of drops at mid off too

Comment

Originally posted by galvatron View Post
                  Dropped catches seem to be similar. With the exception of the caught and bowled.

Whoever is at first slip seems to drop a lot, despite the fact that the CPU will put your best catcher there. Lots of drops at mid off too
                  mid off yes - that's the area which drops the most. Boundary too

Comment

I have noticed quite a few but as Yorkie said, just watching the recent England v India tests there were plenty of dropped catches. I think it partly comes down to the animations; if I see someone dive and not hold on to a one handed attempt at full stretch I just consider it a half chance but when it looks like an easy ball that floats towards someone and they drop it that's certainly frustrating. Eve more so when that batsman goes on to score a century, but again that happens in cricket.

I do look at the CpM in 2nd XI stats as that's generally an indication of their catching ability. For most players I don't sign for that specifically but it's a nice bonus to see someone with good CpM as reliable catchers in the slips can certainly win matches. I certainly agree with cde that you need to view it in context. My first slip also drops most, but he catches far more than anyone else too.

For wicket keepers I do see a definite correlation between 2nd XI CpM and drops, and it's something I definitely look at when signing keepers. Using 2nd XI 3-Day stats to look at First Class potential, I've found:

5.00+ CpM = Safe hands, will only drop very rarely.
                    4.5 - 4.99 CpM = Generally very reliable but you'll see a few more drops here and there. On the whole still very good though.
                    4.0 - 4.49 CpM = Inconsistencies start to appear. A keeper might be fine one match and drop 2 clear chances the next.
                    3.99 or lower CpM = Unreliable. A tendency to drop far too many catches, often at crucial times. Something you often see with part-time keepers.

For outfield players if I see someone with over 1.0 CpM I expect they'll be one of my more reliable catchers and likely placed in the slips. Someone with 0.3 is going to drop more if the ball comes their way too often. I certainly feel more comfortable with a team all closer to 1 CpM than to 0 (for 2nd XI stats).

Comment

Originally posted by saviopaes View Post

Dropped catches are a part of cricket, they change matches in real life and in the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Sureshot View Post

Dropped catches are a part of cricket, they change matches in real life and in the game.
                        Yea I think the number of dropped catches is fine but the limited game animations make you think they are all easy catches. Rather be seeing people dive and not cling on to a one handed catch. Then maybe the players here would be more forgiving!

Comment

I'd agree the number of drops seems fine to me – it is what it is, part of the game. There are plenty of IRL examples of players being put down early in an innings and going on to make monster scores.

Could maybe be something to do with the animations (although I feel like I do see a fair few drops in the slips when fielders are diving) – I tend to listen more to the commentary, assuming the "Just got his fingers to it" line as a better indicator of the difficulty of the chance.

The one I actually find more frustrating is the number of balls that go straight through the keeper for 4 byes. I often feel that happens more in the game than it does IRL, but again that could be partly to do with the animation – it's certainly not uncommon IRL to see a quick bowler put a bit too much into a bouncer and have it sail over the keeper's head, but there doesn't seem to be an animation for that. You'd say it's pretty rare for top-line pro keepers to let anything past them that's within their reach, but I guess unless some new animations are added the only way there will ever be byes in the game is if the keeper lets it straight through his hands.

Comment

I think stupid run outs is worse than all the drops.

My batsmen tried to take a run to 1st slip last night online. Didn't even cross!

Comment

Originally posted by galvatron View Post
                              I think stupid run outs is worse than all the drops.

My batsmen tried to take a run to 1st slip last night online. Didn't even cross!
                              Again the amount of run outs is ok but the animations for them are not always great! Could maybe lower the percentage of test run outs if anything especially when team blocking.

question has anyone noticed if run out running 2 runs you don’t get credited with 1?

Comment

Working...
                              X