Western Australia - Seeking the Shield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Western Australia - Seeking the Shield

Western Australia haven't won the Sheffield Shield since the 1998/99 season when the likes of Adam Gilchrist, Simon Katich, Damien Martyn and Michael Hussey were wearing the black & gold. In that time, the state has lost two finals (2013/14 & 2014/15) while collecting 5 One-Day Cup titles and under the Perth Scorches banner, 3 BBL titles. While the state has become a white ball production line for the national team, at the same winning numerous limited-overs titles, the lack of team success in the longer format stings and it's time to turn that around. Despite numerous recent players making their test debut (Cameron Green, Jhye Richardson, Mitchell Marsh, Ashton Agar, Cameron Bancroft) the ultimate prize of Australia domestic cricket has not been forthcoming.

What's the end goal? Quite simply, the state's drought breaking Sheffield Shield title (and hopefully a couple after), but lets see if we can't continue to pick up the odd Marsh One-Day Cup while we're at it.

2021/22 Squad

Former test all-rounder Hilton Cartwright headlines our departures along with fast bowlers David Moody & Liam Guthrie. We snap up Will Pucovski the moment he enters the open market and use the rest of our budget to sign young Jae Watson who shows promise as a middle-order batsman.

Squad

Batsmen
    Cameron Bancroft
    Nick Hobson
    Shaun Marsh
    Sam Fanning
    Will Pucovski
    Jae Watson

Wicketkeepers
    Josh Inglis
    Josh Phillipe
    Sam Whiteman

All-Rounders
    D'Arcy Short
    Ashton Agar
    Cameron Green
    Aaron Hardie
    Mitchell Marsh
    Marcus Stoinis
    Ashton Turner
    Jayden Goodwin
    Cooper Connolly

Fast Bowlers
    Jason Behrendorff
    Cameron Gannon
    Matt Kelly
    Lance Morris
    Bryce Jackson
    Joel Paris
    Jhye Richardson

Spin Bowlers
    Corey Rocchiccioli
    Liam O'Connor

Signings: Will Pucovski (Victoria) & Jae Watson (Middle order bat)
    Delistings: Hilton Cartwright, David Moody & Liam Guthrie

Comment

Marsh Cup (One-Dayers)

Game 1 vs Victoria @ WACA

XI: Pucovski, Inglis(+), Phillipe, S.Marsh, M.Marsh (c), Stoinis, Green, Agar, Paris, Richardson, Gannon

Bowling first, Finch (143) and Henriques (99) combined for a powerful 168-run second-wicket partnership that established the Vics control of the game. A genuine 5th bowling option came round to hurt us as they amassed 348.

Very little resistance from the batsmen in response, with only Pucovski (53) and Mitch Marsh (56) firing any shots. Left to Agar (75) to add some respectability to the score as we go down in a comprehensive defeat.

Victoria 8-348 (50 overs) Finch 143, Henriques 99, Richardson 3-64 def Western Australia 283 (44.3 overs) Agar, 75, M.Marsh 56, Pucovski 53, Sandhu 4-43, Boland 3-64 by 65 runs. MOTM: A.Finch

Comment

Game 2 vs Tasmania @ WACA

XI: Pucovski, Inglis(+), S.Marsh, M.Marsh (c), Stoinis, Phillipe Green, Agar, Paris, Richardson, Gannon

Deciding to bat first, our batsmen decide not to change their performance, falling to 5-63 in quick fashion. A patient innings from a demoted Phillipe with able supporting acts from Green & Agar see us to 6-224, but some clinical tail end bowling cuts our innings short with 239 on the board.

Another second-wicket partnership is our undoing, as Tim Paine blasts an undefeated century against our toothless attack to take his side home to a comfortable 7-wicket win. How different things may have been as Paine was bowled on a no-ball before he'd reach 20, with Joel Paris having a bit to rue about.

Western Australia 239 (47.5 overs) Phillipe 78, Ellis 3-42, Bird 3-48 lost to Tasmania 3-243 (37.4 overs) Paine 128*, Webster 67 by 7 wickets. MOTM: Paine

Comment

Game 3 vs Sydney @ North Sydney

XI: Pucovski, Inglis(+), Short, S.Marsh, M.Marsh (c), Phillipe, Green, Agar, Richardson, Gannon, Kelly

Batting first on a road up against the Australian bowling attack (Starc, Cummins, Hazlewood & Zampa) would test the mettle of our fragile batting lineup. They failed, with plenty of starts but no innings of significance. Only an undefeated 69-run partnership between numbers 9 and 11, Jyhe Richardson (46*) and Matt Kelly (30*) saw us through to the end of our overs and a total of 235.

Kelly and Richardson claimed an early wicket apiece, but Steve Smith took the game away with a splendid half-cenutry, and Matthew Gilkes provided him with plenty of support. Some late wickets begs the question what would have happened with another 70-80 runs on the board as we slumped to our third straight defeat.

Western Australia 9-235 (50 overs) Hazlewood 4-57 lost to New South Wales 5-237 (40 overs) Smith 95, Gilkes 90 by 5 wickets. MOTM: Hazlewood

Comment

Berendoff not getting a run?
            Stoinis at 6 or 7 worked perfect for me. Averaged 50+
            ===========

~I Love Lamp~

Comment

Originally posted by Cam View Post
              Berendoff not getting a run?
              Stoinis at 6 or 7 worked perfect for me. Averaged 50+

Behrendorff was out of form (0 stars) at the start of the season, he's not too far away from a run.

Stoinis is out due to national selection if I recall correctly, I struggle to get the lineup right at times, so many all-rounders.

Comment

Game 4 vs NSW @ SCG

XI: Pucovski, Inglis(+), Short, S.Marsh (C), Turner, Phillipe, Green, Agar, Richardson, Kelly, Behrendorff

Rest for Mitch Marsh, his brother takes the captaincy rains with Gannon dropped for Jason Behrendorff.

Bowling first, no Smith but Warner played this time but only made 18. Jack Edwards at 3 took a liking to Agar, but succumbed on 99. A middle order collapse of 3-4 saw our opponents reduced to 6-218, but a hard hit 50 from Mitchell Starc saw them bowled out for 310 in the final over of the innings. Jhye Richardson and Agar picking up 7 wickets between them.

Inglis (47) made a solid start, but we struggled for consistency in the middle overs. Keeping wickets in hand as approached the final 15 overs was a nice change, but with the asking rate hovering near 12, it was a Josh Phillipe cameo (36 off 28) that got us going. Shaun March finally broke loose of his shackles hitting three sixes, but the task was too great. Despite needing 23 off the last 2 overs, our bowlers couldn't sneak us home as we bundled out of finals contention.

New South Wales 310 (50 overs) Edwards 99, Starc 50, Richardson 4-56, Agar 3-68 defeated Western Australia 288 (48.4 overs) Marsh 83, Dwarshuis 7-73 by 22 runs. MOTM: B.Dwarshius

Comment

Originally posted by Flighted_Leggies View Post

Behrendorff was out of form (0 stars) at the start of the season, he's not too far away from a run.

Stoinis is out due to national selection if I recall correctly, I struggle to get the lineup right at times, so many all-rounders.
                  I had not much with Short..I put Green up to 4ish and he started playing well.
                  Turner is not.good with bat but handy with ball
                  Richardson & Kelly is what I based my quicks around
                  ===========

~I Love Lamp~

Comment

Sheffield Shield

Match 1 vs Tasmania @ WACA

XI: Pucovski, Bancroft, S.Marsh (C), Watson, Turner, Phillipe, Inglis(+), Agar, Kelly, Gannon, Behrendorff

With five players selected in the Australian T20 squad, a number of changes are made, with young Jae Watson handed a debut. Turner finds a spot in the middle order, with a traditional bowling attack selected.

Batting first, Pucovski scores his first century for his new state, with Marsh and the debutant Watson scoring half-centuries. From a position of strength at 2-260, a hectic four overs sees us suffer a collapse of 4-0. Some lower order contributions see us reach 337 just after lunch on day two.

An early wicket to Behrendorff was followed by a century partnership. We struggled hard to claim the next three wickets to leave things balanced at 4-216, but Nick Larkin came through with a sound 142 and was well supported by Matthew Wade to earn his side a 50-run lead on the stroke of tea on day three.

The deficit was erased two wickets down, and then an experienced Shaun Marsh guided us to safety with a composed half-century and the middle order not capitulating on him. Declaring just after tea with an insurmountable lead, our bowlers were able to nab two wickets before the game was declared a draw.

Western Australia 337 (Pucovski 123, Marsh 70, Watson 50, Bird 5-54, Meredith 3-78) & 8-283 dec (Marsh 72) drew with Tasmania 387 (Larkin 142, Wade 87, Behrendorff 5-94, Agar 3-100) & 2-67. MOTM: Larkin

Comment

Working...
                    X