ICC 2008 Simple Editor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Every time i try to load the editor i get this message:

WindowsFormsApplication1 has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

What am I doing wrong?

Comment

well, if you're searching for cheats, one would think that the only thing you want an editor for is to elevate your players' stats to ridiculous levels in order to smash every team that you play against.
      Well now that's something I have to disagree with.
      In OOTP and CC (and other games, even to a lesser extent FM) I use the editors supplied by the producer (nearly all text based sports sims come with editors. These are to play historical scenarios, and go through "what if's")

It may, perhaps suprise you if you knew just how much time and effort serious simmers will put into getting the starting conditions right.

I've been known to set up OOTP leagues for the best part of a week, perhaps putting in 30 or 40 hours getting every name, every stat - even down to the injuries players had at the start of a season.

Given that the games I have listed above all come with editors, and a quick scan through the lists of text based sports sims would unearth very few games that DON'T come with editors - normally official or at least officially endorsed.

Competitions with skill points online are also great. Two teams distributing say 500 skill points per team, with rules such as :

1 point ber batting average higher than 10
      2 points per batting average higher than 20
      3 points per batting average higher than 30
      4 points per batting average higher than 40
      10 points per batting average higher than 50, no batting average higher than 55

1 point per bowling average lower than 60
      2 points per bowling average lower than 50
      3 points per bowling average lower than 40
      4 points per bowling average lower than 30
      10 points per bowling average lower than 20 - no bowling average lower than 18

Anyway..
      I see the problem. Online games.

ICC is not unique in this, but the solutions I've seen seem quite good.

1) Perversly DO include an in game editor. Save edited source files with a flag that shows that any game created with it is from an edited database.

2) Before online play give a brief opportunity for players to examine teams if required. Having a string of 19 year olds at the top of your order all with maximum batting skill and power should ring alarm bells

It's a game after all, online is not the be-all-and-end-all

MUD dungeons used to have a consistency check. Even over the very slow connections in the mid 80's we had on "The Witch" in Wolverhampton, your init file was compared byte for byte against any opponents init file. If they didn't match (or match the server side "master init file" then the game could not be played. It took about 3 minutes. These days it would be a few seconds.

At the end of the day people will edit.

There are three things you can do about this.

1) Ignore it

2) Fight against it (this will perhaps make it harder for a while, but ultimately some people just love a challenge, and you are using resources to achieve something questionable)

or

3) By supporting it an a controlled way. making your official editor seamless and the use of it transparent, "own" the editing situation.

My vote is for 3)

I'm not a massive fan of editing if done badly, so well done or not at all really.

Game crashes, online cheating and spoilt single player games are not what it's all about.

People playing the game as they would like. Giving people a sandbox to experiment with historical scenarios. Now THAT excites me, and seems well within the remit of a game like ICC.

Not a game killer for me, but let's not make editing the pariah of ICC, it isn't for any other text based sports sim, and some of them do rather well commercially

Paul
      The continued lack of stats in ICC is not so much the elephant in the room - as the Brontosaurus in the bathtub.

Comment

^Excellent post mate.

Comment

how do you use it

Comment

is the editorr the zip file on the first page? if so how come i cant get it to work?

Comment

Originally posted by Scritty View Post
              Well now that's something I have to disagree with.
              In OOTP and CC (and other games, even to a lesser extent FM) I use the editors supplied by the producer (nearly all text based sports sims come with editors. These are to play historical scenarios, and go through "what if's")

It may, perhaps suprise you if you knew just how much time and effort serious simmers will put into getting the starting conditions right.

I've been known to set up OOTP leagues for the best part of a week, perhaps putting in 30 or 40 hours getting every name, every stat - even down to the injuries players had at the start of a season.

Given that the games I have listed above all come with editors, and a quick scan through the lists of text based sports sims would unearth very few games that DON'T come with editors - normally official or at least officially endorsed.

Competitions with skill points online are also great. Two teams distributing say 500 skill points per team, with rules such as :

1 point ber batting average higher than 10
              2 points per batting average higher than 20
              3 points per batting average higher than 30
              4 points per batting average higher than 40
              10 points per batting average higher than 50, no batting average higher than 55

1 point per bowling average lower than 60
              2 points per bowling average lower than 50
              3 points per bowling average lower than 40
              4 points per bowling average lower than 30
              10 points per bowling average lower than 20 - no bowling average lower than 18

Anyway..
              I see the problem. Online games.

ICC is not unique in this, but the solutions I've seen seem quite good.

1) Perversly DO include an in game editor. Save edited source files with a flag that shows that any game created with it is from an edited database.

2) Before online play give a brief opportunity for players to examine teams if required. Having a string of 19 year olds at the top of your order all with maximum batting skill and power should ring alarm bells

It's a game after all, online is not the be-all-and-end-all

MUD dungeons used to have a consistency check. Even over the very slow connections in the mid 80's we had on "The Witch" in Wolverhampton, your init file was compared byte for byte against any opponents init file. If they didn't match (or match the server side "master init file" then the game could not be played. It took about 3 minutes. These days it would be a few seconds.

At the end of the day people will edit.

There are three things you can do about this.

1) Ignore it

2) Fight against it (this will perhaps make it harder for a while, but ultimately some people just love a challenge, and you are using resources to achieve something questionable)

or

3) By supporting it an a controlled way. making your official editor seamless and the use of it transparent, "own" the editing situation.

My vote is for 3)

I'm not a massive fan of editing if done badly, so well done or not at all really.

Game crashes, online cheating and spoilt single player games are not what it's all about.

People playing the game as they would like. Giving people a sandbox to experiment with historical scenarios. Now THAT excites me, and seems well within the remit of a game like ICC.

Not a game killer for me, but let's not make editing the pariah of ICC, it isn't for any other text based sports sim, and some of them do rather well commercially

Paul
              I also play OOTP and probably won't buy ICC anymore since there is no way to build out the game as you want.
              i don't play ICC online so i feel that the game is the same year in year out so it doesn't hold anymore magic for me, an ability to customise the player data base would make it more attractive with the ability to do a What if these players were never to leave South Africa, or what if this player stayed and played for Australia not NZ or if Jaques and Symonds played for England not Australia. but that will never happen.
              So sadly i can't see another ICC game being installed on my PC anytime soon.

Steve

Comment

Problems

After doing an international career with NZ i edited some of the players to reflect their team roles today(ie fulton from opener to batsman). I did this for 15 players. As i came to pik my squad for the 2nd series against west indies i noticed all the players i had edited had disappeared off the database. What is the problem?

Comment

Originally posted by Cyril Washbrook View Post
                  The purpose of a cheat in a sporting game is usually to improve your team's performance in a radical manner. I'm baffled that your idea of "spic[ing] up the game" is to win by obscenely large margins without having to put in any effort. Moreover, the very fact that you're looking for such a cheat would imply that at the moment, you're not having much success with your team and you're sick of losing all the time. In that case, far more challenging and interesting would be to try to improve your team and win some silverware.

I notice that in the 2009 Features Request forum you suggested that without an editor, the game would "quickly become boring" - well, if you're searching for cheats, one would think that the only thing you want an editor for is to elevate your players' stats to ridiculous levels in order to smash every team that you play against.
                  Cyril is right. I want an Editor that edits not the players' stats and performance; rather, I want an Editor that lets me make players that resemble people I play cricket with, or know, so I can have a personalized team. I stated this idea in the full in my thread, ICC 2010+ Ideas.

Using a Player Editor like you want to makes me sick. I have this ICC Editor - I make a Full Game and edited the stats. And I got bored after 2 games - I smashed everyone.

I just made a new Full Game, using the Editor just to change batting styles, Age (I made players the same age as people I know) and now am having a ball, playing pretty poorly, however, but it's great fun when "i" hit a four, or "Sam" gets a wicket.

Hence why I'm pushing for a Player Creator in the next 2010/2011 package.

Comment

Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click Continiue the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit, the application will close immediatly

what is the problem?? I get this when I attempt to run the program.

Comment

With this editor?

Comment

Error in ICC editor

I am getting this error ? can anyone please tell me what this is about.

Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to contine. If you click Quit, the application will close immediately.

Attempted to divide by zero.

when i click continue i see no player.

and the details of this error is

See the end of this message for details on invoking
                        just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
                        System.DivideByZeroException: Attempted to divide by zero.
                        at WindowsFormsApplication1.ICCTrainer2008.codesToDOB ()
                        at WindowsFormsApplication1.ICCTrainer2008.loadPlayer Data()
                        at WindowsFormsApplication1.ICCTrainer2008.loadButton _Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
                        at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
                        at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventAr gs mevent)
                        at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
                        at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
                        at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
                        at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
                        at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.W ndProc(Message& m)
                        at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
                        mscorlib
                        Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
                        Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4927 (NetFXspW7.050727-4900)
                        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
                        ----------------------------------------
                        ICC 2008 Editor
                        Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
                        Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
                        CodeBase: file:///H:/ICC3d/ICC%202008%20Editor.exe
                        System.Windows.Forms
                        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
                        System
                        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
                        System.Drawing
                        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
                        To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
                        application or computer (machine.config) must have the
                        jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
                        The application must also be compiled with debugging
                        enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
                        <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
                        </configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
                        will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
                        rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Comment

Originally posted by YoungTwistah View Post
                          Using a Player Editor like you want to makes me sick. I have this ICC Editor - I make a Full Game and edited the stats. And I got bored after 2 games - I smashed everyone.

I just made a new Full Game, using the Editor just to change batting styles, Age (I made players the same age as people I know) and now am having a ball, playing pretty poorly, however, but it's great fun when "i" hit a four, or "Sam" gets a wicket.

Hence why I'm pushing for a Player Creator in the next 2010/2011 package.
                          Personalization in game is very important to me to. Player photos (of my favourite real players - or just my own team mates) are near the top of my wish list.

Not "included" in game - but placeholders where you can put your own.

Editing to win is a problem, but not an insurmountable one. As I mentioned, I can't think of one other text sports sim that doesn't have one, and I play many covering Football (Gridiron and Soccer) Baseball (my 2nd fave after cricket) Hockey, Baasketball, Golf etc etc. All have editors.

There are simple ways to avoid people cheating online (which I mentioned above as well) but the real reason I want them is to "sandbox" and "what if" seasons, matches, one era against another.

With the right customization and editing options - added to extra features which Cris has alluded to already - I believe ICC will jump from niche cricket game into something a whole lot bigger.

Proper text/sports simmers take it quite seriously. We are adults. Let's have a game that treats us like adults, not one that hides the goodies in case we "break" them.

Paul

PS Making you sick is a bit extreme
                          The continued lack of stats in ICC is not so much the elephant in the room - as the Brontosaurus in the bathtub.

Comment

i think the error u get is like when in game yur not on player profile so first u have to go to player profile then hit load. when done hit apply.

Comment

i've got the same problem as atkhan, and i've got it on player profile but it still doesn't work.

Comment

it dosen't work how come. i did everything you said how come it dosen't work

Comment

Working...
                                X