Sussex - 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sussex - 2022

(Okay, it's not that good, but I need the practice!)

This is an idea I had a couple of days ago now, and, as with most of my ideas, it will most likely fail :P. If you don't get it at first, try and persevere, it should get better after it gets off and running.

Sugden Takes Over at Hove

Yesterday evening, it was announced that Carl Hopkinson's replacement as Sussex head coach would be none other than Andy Sugden, taking charge immediately.

It has been predicted that Sugden may struggle to replicate Hopkinson's success as coach as he is an outsider coming into a closely knit club at Hove, and he may struggle to control the dressing room with strong characters such as James Harris, Adil Rashid, Greg Warner and Paul Ewing.

The first situation that Sugden will most likely sort out is the problem of who to replace retiring captain and wicketkeeper Andy Hodd, who retired last week at the age of 36. He has many options to solve this issue, and as yet it is not clear which one he will take. Bookmakers are suggesting that he will take a contingency plan option for his first couple of seasons, with 36 year-old opener Ewing and 34 year-old allrounder Rashid the early leaders, although he may end up taking a punt on a younger player, such as 25 year-old Wayne Austerfield or 29 year-old Michael Foot. Whichever decision he makes, it may be a while down the line as he gets to know his new squad.

The other reason why Sugden may fail to gain success is due to the large amount of older players in his squad. Apart from the aformentioned Harris, Rashid, Warner and Ewing; Hunt, Hodgson, Coddington and Rickman are 30 or over, and Sugden will need to find some new bowlers and a wicketkeeper from somewhere to try and keep his side's trophy hopes alive over the coming seasons.

I will be following Sugden and his Sussex side for the next few years, and reporting on exciting or important matches. If he succeeds, he'll be a South Coast hero. If he fails, he'll have trouble getting on the bus in the Brighton and Hove area.

P.S - In case you didn't notice the title or the rather large picture, this story starts in 2022. My first step will be, in character of course, to introduce you to each of the players under contract at the club, and show you through the preseason contract dealings.

sounds pretty good. great idea.

Comment

Something new. I like it!

Comment

Sussex Squad Profile Part One - Openers

The first part of my Sussex squad previews, I'll start by looking at the Shark's openers. There are only two currently under contract at the club, so it shouldn't take too long!

Name - Paul Ewing
        Age - 36
        Year Joined - 2010
        Profile - Paul Ewing has been one of the most consistent openers in county cricket for over 10 years now, especially in the one day form of the game, where he averages over 40. For some reason or other, however, the selectors have never garnered him with international honours, preferring to play test match openers Delaney (Warwickshire) and Rush (Hampshire), who have played over 150 ODIs each. He has been selected in a couple of one day squads for England, and many columnists have suggested that the reason he has not featured in teams is due to his larger than life personality, that only Hopkinson has seemed to be able to contain as yet.
        Sugden needs to - Contain Ewing.

Name - Jim Wright
        Age - 23
        Year Joined - 2018
        Profile - One of the prodigious talents of world cricket, Jim Wright looks like he may end up as one of the players of the twenties, with 1 one day international match already to his name. In domestic one day cricket, he averages almost 50 off 83 innings, and over 40 in the first class form of the game, in no way shoddy. Also one of the best fielders on the county scene for the previous few years at slip, he is sure to provide some of the fight and determination that Sugden may well look for in his players. In the one day international, he scored 15, but it seems that he will get further chances in the side as he was awarded a central contract at the end of the 2021 season.
        Sugden needs to - Get the most possible out of this young starlet.

As there are only two, with batsman Rickman and former captain Hodd filling in at some points last season, Sugden may well try to bring in another to balance his squad, especially with Wright looking to be in many England squads throughout the summer.
        Last edited by Imager36; 05-21-2010, 04:30 PM.

Comment

nice i like it

Comment

Exclusive Interview with Dave Brooks

We grabbed an exclusive interview with Dave Brooks, Sussex Chief Executive, on the appointment of Andy Sugden as head coach. Martin Robinson spoke to him.

MR - Hello Dave, thanks for letting us do this interview with you

DB - Hi Martin, and thanks for letting me answer any of you questions, just to clear things up around this appointment.

MR - Speaking of questions, I suppose I'd better start with one! Are you happy with the appointment of Andy Sugden to the head coach post?

DB - Of course I am, Martin, I appointed him after all! Andy has a wealth of experience from his time with Yorkshire, and I feel that he has a steady pair of hands in order to take our club forward.

MR - Do you feel that Andy Hodd's retirement last week had anything to do with Carl's departure?

DB - Yes, I think Carl's decision has a lot to do with Andy's (Hodd). Carl was a big man at the club and had a large impact on the team as a whole, so obviously his decision to stand down was one that was entirely his and nothing to do with any pressure from the club. Even though last season ended badly, he had a very successful tenure at the club, so there was no chance of the club sacking him. We all know that Carl had a great relationship with his captain, so there is a chance that the two made their decisions together before they came out with their resignations to the media. Andy said to me whilst resigning that part of his decision was based on letting the new coach create his own era, without hampering his first decision on the captaincy front.

MR - Do you think that Sugden's presence will ruin the family atmosphere at the club, given that he is an outsider?

DB - I think that that atmosphere will be retained, but Sugden may be tougher on the players than Carl was.

MR - Will Murray Goodwin be resigning as batting coach after running for the head coach job?

DB - I would doubt that he will resign, as he is an integral part of the coaching staff. Murray is an exceptionally professional man and he'll get over missing out on the job soon enough and get back to coaching our young batsmen.

MR - Will there be any new signings during the off-season?

DB - To be honest with you, Martin, there is a wage budget to reinvest, but whether and how Andy spends that is entirely up to him so you'll have to speak to him about that one!

MR - Dave Brooks, thank you once again.

DB - Thank you very much, Martin.

PS - I'll just mention that this thread is already the top result on google for 'Andy Sugden Sussex' and 'Sussex 2022'. Weird that I was looking, I know, but .
            Last edited by Imager36; 05-20-2010, 06:53 PM.

Comment

I'm loving this already, keep up the good work

Comment

This is a great story- love the imagination and depth you've gone into, and the fact you're detailing each player rather than just a list.

Comment

NOTE - No real reason why I've done the batsmen in two parts, but I felt that 7 were too many to put in one post, and indeed, sitting!

Sussex Squad Part Two - More Experienced Batsmen

Name - Alec Hodgson
                  Age - 35
                  Year joined - 2009
                  Profile - Now a veteran seeing out his playing career at Sussex, Alec Hodgson has played 53 test matches and 31 ODIs for his country. His 30 first class centuries is the largest number of any of the Sussex squad, which is particularly impressive because he has been far away from the first team recently, having played only 10 matches in the last 2 years, and all in the first class form of the game. He has bags of experience, and is a model professional, so he will be a large candidate to replace Murray Goodwin as batting coach should he resign at any point, as has been predicted by many sections of the media.
                  Sugden needs to - Decide how Hodgson's experience is most useful, whether in his side or in the nets.

Name - Anthony Rickman
                  Age - 30
                  Year joined - 2013
                  Profile - Although never having been a regular in the Sussex side, Rickman has been around Hove for his entire career, having been born and raised in Brighton. He has never been a batsman likely to get international honours, he has mainly been used by Sussex in a replacement capacity, although he enjoyed a long run in the side as an opener alongside Paul Ewing in the one day form of the game before Jim Wright came through the youth academy. Also regularly filling in as a wicketkeeper when Andy Hodd was on IPL duty at the start of each season, Rickman has played over 80 FC, over 90 OD and over 50 T20 matches for Sussex, and is a valued member of the squad without having played a pivotal role in any of their titles.
                  Sugden needs to - Decide whether Rickman makes the grade as a replacement for Jim Wright while he is on England duty.

Name - Michael Foot
                  Age - 29
                  Year joined - 2014
                  Profile - Originally at Hampshire, Foot moved to Sussex in his early twenties to improve his first team chances. He rarely plays at the moment for Sussex, however, as he is one of the vital players for the England side. He was one of the early favourites for the captaincy that Andy Sugden is due to decide shortly, but sources have revealed that if offered it, he would most likely turn it down due to wanting to play for, and ultimately captain England. He's played 66 ODIs for the country, and 25 tests at an average of over 45, although his overly aggressive batting style may have stopped him from gaining more tests, as he has been slated in the media for getting out at the wrong times.
                  Sugden needs to - Protect Foot in the media whilst trying to help try and help him control his temperament whilst on high scores.

PS - It might speed up when we get to some matches, but during this period, the more posts here, the better, as otherwise I feel like I might be writing just for myself
                  Last edited by Imager36; 05-21-2010, 11:24 PM.

Comment

Sussex Squad Part Three - Less Experienced Batsmen

Name - Anthony Stock
                    Age - 26
                    Year joined - 2018
                    Profile - As the oldest of the young batsmen, joining the club at the same time as Jim Wright from the Sussex youth academy, Stock has not yet shown too much promise in the 4 day form of the game, with an average of just over 30 and only 4 100s from 98 innings. He has been an inspiration, however, in the middle order for Sussex in one day cricket, with an average of almost 45.5, being consistent with 17 50s from 64 innings, without ever scoring a century as his usual batting position at number 5 rarely allows this.
                    Sugden needs to - Make a decision on his 4 day position in the team.

Name - Wayne Austerfield
                    Age - 25
                    Year joined - 2020
                    Profile - An exceptionally talented batsman in first class cricket, Austerfield averages almost 50 in the format, and has recently been called up to the England test match squad, playing 5 matches so far with 3 50s and an average of over 40. He mentioned last season that he wanted to captain a county side and maybe even his country some day, and as a vital member of both FC and OD teams, may well be the youngest player under Sugden's consideration for the post, a decision on which is decided to be made when I've finished going through the squad player-by-player!
                    Sugden needs to - Decide on how to treat Austerfield's captaincy ambitions.

Name - Robert Follet
                    Age - 24
                    Year joined - 2021
                    Profile - A player with bags of potential that are as yet to be unleashed on the world, Follet made 3 test match appearances in his first season as a pro playing for Essex after being taken on a tour to the West Indies which was then hit by a large batsman injury crisis, leading to him debuting at a point when no-one had expected him to. As a 24 year old with a FC average of only 33.6, he looks unlikely to gain a call up any time soon, and a one day average of just over 20, albeit of only 14 matches, has a lot to be desired. Where Sugden sees Follet's future could be all important for the man's career.
                    Sugden needs to - Clear up his future.

Name - Ben Bird
                    Age - 23
                    Year joined - 2019
                    Profile - Another good first class batsman, Bird has also seen improvements in his one day cricket throughout last season, and he has pushed at, but not yet got, an international cap to his name. A relatively tentative player at the crease, Bird is also shy and reserved off it, with departing captain Hodd calling him "One of the nicest, most talented young cricketers you are likely to meet", in an exclusive interview we got with him coming up soon. (Believe me, he doesn't mince his words on some of the other players in the team!)
                    Sugden needs to - Decide on whether he is part of his one day team and stick to his decision.
                    Last edited by Imager36; 05-22-2010, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Nice idea, great concept, very original. Looks like you have a good side. Hope it goes well.

Comment

Originally posted by Chasjs View Post
                        Nice idea, great concept, very original. Looks like you have a good side. Hope it goes well.
                        Yeah, my side is a bit good for the story to be too much fun. I'll probably stir up a bit of trouble and see how the flow takes me. Also, there'll be a lot of players away on England duty, so in terms of the batting, players like Rickman are likely to have to play at points.
                        Last edited by Imager36; 05-21-2010, 10:21 PM.

Comment

Almost Exclusive Interview with Andy Hodd

I say almost because the bugger's just gone to the Independent as well, but we're not bitter, so on presses our favourite correspondant Martin Robinson with our interview, in which Hodd reveals some very interesting stuff about his former teammates that you may or may not have read in an aforementioned daily.

MR - Hey Andy, thanks for agreeing to do this interview with us.

AH - No problem Martin, I like to have my views heard, as you know!

MR - Of course! A toughie to start, I suppose, but one that's quite obvious. Why did you quit?

AH - Ha! I was expecting you to ask me that, and my honest answer is that there were several reasons for me to quit. Firstly, of course, because I've just become a father, with a beautiful baby daughter

MR - Congratulations!

AH - Thanks. Secondly, I felt that as Carl had left, it would be good if I left and allowed the new coach to build an entirely new era for Sussex, with a new coach and a new captain of his choice. Having stepped down as captain, I felt it was time to retire also, as I feel that it wouldn't be right for me to still be in the dressing room; not only influencing the team, but keeping young keepers out of the side.

MR - Is there any truth in the rumours that you lost some of the dressing room towards the end of last season.

AH - Well, now you come to mention it, that would form my fourth reason.

MR - Care to shed any light on who?

AH - Well. Obviously that's tough for me to answer, but seeing that I'm unlikely to return before these people retire, I will say that Anthony Hunt and Paul Ewing were at least partially responsible, and my relations deteriorated with them as I got near the end of my tenure, which was especially weird seeing as they were my closest allies in my first days.

MR - Do you think that Sugden will have success at Sussex?

AH - I really don't know. I have a feeling his fate may be sealed as soon as he chooses his captain and allies in the dressing room. It's a good squad with young players like Wayne Austerfield and Ben Bird, two of the nicest and most talented cricketers you're likely to meet, and the batting looks strong for the future.

MR - Finally, Andy, have you any aspirations to get back into cricket?

AH - I'm not sure, as yet, Martin, we'll see how it goes. I think I've got a stint of nappy changing before I can think about sport again!

MR - Thank you, the ever cheerful Andy Hodd!

And thank you, the ever cheerful Martin Robinson. As a side note, if you have a question for new Sussex head coach Andy Sugden, mention it here, and I'll make sure to inform Martin to ask him come the time we speak to him, just before the start of the actual cricket season.

Comment

Sussex Squad Part Four - Wicketkeepers

Name - James Freshwater
                            Age - 24
                            Year joined - 2021
                            Profile - Out of the two keepers available to Sugden to replace outgoing captain Andy Hodd, it seems as if Freshwater has slightly greater batting potential. At only 24, as compared to Hodd's 36, he is by no means young, but the oldest wicketkeeper on Sussex's books. He has by no means stopped developing as a cricketer either, and his glovework has come on significantly from what we saw in the last couple of months of last season, where both he and Mark Morley had opportunities behind the stumps due to a recurrence of his back problem (which he joked was from crouching down to Rashid and Alwis for too many years on a turning Hove wicket!) Although neither of the two young keepers have desirable batting averages, Freshwater has the best of the two, and has almost reached a first class century, with 96 against Hampshire. Tipped by the bookies to be named as the wicketkeeper for the first Sussex game of the season (vs. Lancashire 15th April, 2/5 on).
                            Sugden needs to - Say where Freshwater stands.

Name - Mark Morley
                            Age - 22
                            Year joined - 2021
                            Profile - A better rated gloveman than Freshwater by many pundits, averaging with more catches in both formats, but the lack of stumpings, coupled by the lack of runs, makes Freshwater the favourite. Morley does only average at about 16 in one day cricket and slightly over 20 in FC, which puts him down in the bookies estimation, and possibly Sugden's, but I feel that if he shows himself well in preseason nets, especially with the bat, Sugden may well take a punt on him for the first match of the season against Lancashire. We'll see!
                            Sugden needs to - Decide whether Morley is good enough for this level.

Comment

Sugden Swoops For Youngsters

Andy Sugden has unveiled his first two signings as Sussex head coach today, Alec Norton, a 21 year old opener from Surrey and Nathan Griffith, a 19 year old keeper from Yorkshire.

It had already been suggested that Sugden may look to get another opener in to replace Jim Wright while he's on England duty, and youngster Norton is the product of that want. It is unlikely he'll get regular first team action, as Ewing would most likely demand a place in the first team and Norton looks, by his statistics, looks to be a fill in player. He averages over 30 in FC cricket, but under 10 so far in OD cricket, so he may well have to be taught the one day game back over by Murray Goodwin, resident batting coach.

The other signing, Griffith, played 16 total games for Yorkshire last year after rising through their youth academy. He's only 19, and Sugden must feel that he has a future in the game as the keeping department does not really need extra backup with Freshwater and Morley already arguing over the first team place, and Anthony Rickman more than happy with the gloves if necessary, many of the media are questioning his decision to add to Sussex's already large squad with a keeper who may well not play a match in his first season.

Both have been reportedly signed on 3 year contracts, which may well turn into a mistake if either of these turn out to be flops, but at only a reported £25,000 a year each, Sugden is not wasting too much of his enormous wage budget if the two fail at the first hurdle, with contract terminations possible at the end of each season. These players could well turn out to be the backbone of the Sugden regime in years to come, and we may well see Norton end up playing week in week out after Ewing retires, whenever he decides to do that.

We sent my favourite reporter Martin Robinson to the ground because he only lives just around the corner and he's extremely cheap. He had varying amounts of success in finding someone to talk to, finding Hove almost deserted as it is February, but he sneaked into the pavilion and found someone by the name of Tom Franch, who obviously does not represent the club in any way, but we were getting desperate so we told Martin to go ahead.

MR - Mr. Franch, thanks for agreeing to speak to us.

TF - Yes, umm... who were you again?

MR - Martin Robinson, Mr. Franch, a cricket journalist.

TF - Yes... We used to have a coach named Robinson you know.

MR - Yes, Mr. Franch. Anyway, on to business. What do you think about the new signings today?

TF - There were new signings today?

MR - Ye... Yes, Mr. Franch, a young opener from Surrey called Alec Norton and a young keeper from Yorkshire called Nathan Griffith.

TF - He'd have to be from Surrey to have a name like Alec, wouldn't he?

MR - Yes, yes I suppose he would. Any ideas on the players?

TF - Nathan's a good name though. Always liked Nathan. One of my grandchildren's called Nathan you know.

MR - Yes, Mr. Franch. Any ideas about anything?

TF - Pub?

MR - If it'll stop this interview, gladly.

At which point I think I'm legally obliged to thank Martin Robinson. He's down in my estimations, I have to admit.

Comment

Working...
                              X