Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help, new player!

Hi guys

Just started playing the game (I know the new game is oit but i found this version cheap and thought I would see how it was first) and have been reading the forums.
    I am really struggling in the game, losing most matches and not getting anywhere.
    I was wondering if anyone had any good tips or hints on the whole game and especially how to bowl well as a team as that is my real struggle.
    Also is it worth establishing youth players?
    I am captain of Nottinghamshire who have what I would regard as a pretty decent bowling attack? Right?

Thanks for any help you can give me
    Cheers

Team selection is very important. Since your captaining Notts I'm not the one to give you advice on this.

With bowling try to bowl to the batsman's weakness. I do with length all the time but more often than not aim for off stump.

Team structure is important. In First Class games (in most cases) you have to take 20 wickets. If you feel confident that you have 4 bowlers who can take 5 wickets each in 2 innings then pick them. If not go with 5.

In One day games unless the batsmen are really on top of you take the bowling powerplay right away. Bowl your best pace bowlers in the powerplays at the start and then again during the batting powerplay but leave a few overs left for your most economical two for bowling at the death. In the middle overs spinners on really defensive fields can do a great job of tying the batsmen down. Still, don't underestimate the value of taking wickets, even in T20s. Early on, especially in 40/50 over games bowl with a balanced aggression before backing off when your on top.

In First Class games you probably need one spinner and 3/4 pace bowlers (or 2 spiiners and 3 pace bowlers if the pitch looks like it'll turn alot). Bowl pace for most of the first 20 overs and then bring a spinner on for a few long spells. Some fast bowlers can reverse swing the ball so are very good with older balls so let them have a go with it. When a batsmen is set and is going on to a big score don't be afraid to bring on a part-timer, think Collingwood/Bopara/Pietersen/Trott with England.

Try to avoid batting in very cloudy conditions. When conditions are like this bowling is preferable and FMs can be very dangerous. Sometimes even part time Ms can take a few wickets in these conditions.

And I'd recommend playing on easy till you get the hang of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Chasjs View Post
      And I'd recommend playing on easy till you get the hang of it.
      I'm not sure about this. Sure, playing on easy might allow you to win some games, and build confidence, but at the same time, bad decision making processes can be costly if they are then transfered to the normal game. As an example, playing with 4 "ok" bowlers might work in easy, but can easily cost you games in normal. But that's just my opinion, of course. I love the frustration, followed by the sweet taste of victory that one gets from doing things the hard way.
      World Serious Cricket

Comment

Cheers guys for your responses,
        Any good advice on what team to start with for a new comer?
        And should I sign any youth players first season in?

Any other help is also appreciated

Comment

Originally posted by Phylos Fett View Post
          I'm not sure about this. Sure, playing on easy might allow you to win some games, and build confidence, but at the same time, bad decision making processes can be costly if they are then transfered to the normal game. As an example, playing with 4 "ok" bowlers might work in easy, but can easily cost you games in normal. But that's just my opinion, of course. I love the frustration, followed by the sweet taste of victory that one gets from doing things the hard way.
          I mean until you get the mechanics of the game and a few of the basics.

Comment

Originally posted by jawain04 View Post
            Cheers guys for your responses,
            Any good advice on what team to start with for a new comer?
            And should I sign any youth players first season in?

Any other help is also appreciated
            I would generally try to sign one youth player on the first season, the best in the area in which you feel your team is weakest (batting for notts, I guess) and have a go with them in some competitive matches. Look at 2nd team averages (and not outs), salary and age to determine how good they are/will be.

Comment

In the longer forms, I use aggressive fields a lot. The batsman can get runs through the vacant regions, but you want someone there for every single nick. Once the batsman is settling again slightly ease back, but I never use defensive fields in 4/5-day games.

Comment

Originally posted by Chasjs View Post
                I mean until you get the mechanics of the game and a few of the basics.
                I tend to just pick the best side and still dive in head first. Or play the international game. Most of the time the first season is a write off, anyway - sometimes in terms of starting a new game afterwards, sometimes in terms of selling off half the team.

The manual has some very helpful hints for a new player - hell, if I haven't played for a while, I dive straight for the Tips section, just to jog my memory.
                World Serious Cricket

Comment

Don't expect to win!

Don't expect to win much or have much fun in your first season - that's the sort of game this is! In my opinion the 'normal' mode is too difficult for beginners, especially as you have usually got pretty poor players, and the 'easy' mode can get you addicted to the game but is too easy, produces unrealistic results and encourages you to use tactics that won't work so well in the 'normal' game.

Comment

I recently purchased this game too. I played Australia, I won the first couple of One-dayers and T20 fairly well a loss here and there and then on to the Ashes, won the first two tests and two county games fine but the 3rd test on I am getting pounded, I can't seem to get the opposition out for under 500 and instead of scoring 3-400 now I am lucky to get 250, not sure what is going on or why the sudden reversal in form with the same team. I don't mind losing a few games, but being pounded every game is getting monotonous.

Comment

The game is very tough so PRO's please help us

Comment

Working...
                      X