Technique training questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Technique training questions

1) What are the advantages/disadvantages of giving young players general technique training in batting and bowling as opposed to concentrating on specific aspects? In real life one would suppose that if a bowler's general technique improved he would show improvements to some degree in all the specific aspects of his bowling and similarly for batsmen. Is this true in the game? If so, am I correct in assuming that with general technique it just takes longer for each skill to improve. This would be logical, but I'm not sure how it works with aggressive/defensive batting and bowling as this can be more a matter of temperament and I'm not sure that's something you can coach.

2) Can anyone tell me how long a young player should be kept on technique training? I'm guessing we're talking about periods like half a season, a season or several seasons. And is there any way of knowing when a player has gone as far as he can go with technique coaching or is it just a matter of judgment? I'd hate to think all that coaching budget was being wasted on players who can't get any better.

you will probably have more luck if you post this in the 2010 part of the forum , its far more active than this one.

tommy

Comment

yes you better move it there

Comment

Originally posted by gooch View Post
        1) What are the advantages/disadvantages of giving young players general technique training in batting and bowling as opposed to concentrating on specific aspects? In real life one would suppose that if a bowler's general technique improved he would show improvements to some degree in all the specific aspects of his bowling and similarly for batsmen. Is this true in the game? If so, am I correct in assuming that with general technique it just takes longer for each skill to improve. This would be logical, but I'm not sure how it works with aggressive/defensive batting and bowling as this can be more a matter of temperament and I'm not sure that's something you can coach.

2) Can anyone tell me how long a young player should be kept on technique training? I'm guessing we're talking about periods like half a season, a season or several seasons. And is there any way of knowing when a player has gone as far as he can go with technique coaching or is it just a matter of judgment? I'd hate to think all that coaching budget was being wasted on players who can't get any better.
        In my experience, it depends on the players age & talent.
        I have had a batsman improve Leg-Side shots (from Strong off-side preference to slight off-side preference) in as few as 14 days.
        Older players take longer (presumably more bad habits to break?).

General technique improves all aspects of batting & definitely takes a lot longer!

Comment

Agressive Shots for Batsman and Accuracy for Bowlers does help alot

Comment

I think I've sussed it!

With regard to bowling technique, aggressive bowling training is for getting the bowler's average down, and defensive training is for getting his economy rate down. If both are bad, but he's young and you're not ready to give up on him, he needs general training. If both are good enough (but could be better), and he's still say 22 or younger, you could switch to accuracy - or you could stay with general.

I think I read somewhere that general training stops working at about 27-28, but that specific types keep working (although they get harder with age). So if you've got technique training capacity to spare for capable 27-year-olds, I think this is where you would definitely use accuracy training rather than general technique.

For batting, the specific technique training types all relate to changing the batsman's preferences, as found on the bottom of the 'Personal' tab in his player record. If he has any 'strong' preferences other than very aggressive which is useful heehee (ie. for pace or spin, leg or off-side shots, front or back foot, or is very defensive), he would be better off being trained so as to weaken this preference.

Comment

Working...
            X