Last-day run chases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last-day run chases

What kind of chases does the computer attempt on the last day of the match?
    I know about the easy ones, but if it came down to, say, 5 runs an over to win with 30 overs left, would the computer attempt it, or simply shut up shop and settle for the draw?

I have one example where I (Northants) set the computer's Essex 284 to win, off what turned out to be 48 overs. The computer wasn't tempted in the slightest, finishing 3 down for just over 100. Admittedly, the pitch had deteriorated, but it was still (from memory) 3 dots for both pace and spin, and the weather was unsettled, so even there too.

That is the most enticing target I can remember setting the AI. The computer's Worcestershire set me (as Hants) a more enticing one - 142 off 32 or so - and we managed to get there. Although it was a close thing - 7 down off 30.3

But the computer's generally better at chasing than I am!

I've started watching what happens in AI v AI FC matches, which has resulted in me going some way towards answering my own question. Most of the time the AI doesn't bite, even when the target looks quite 'tasty' to me. But then, intriguingly, there are other times when... this happens.

June 9, 2011: Middlesex only need 114 to win against Yorkshire, in around an hour. They went for it all right, losing 7 wickets and scoring faster than a run a ball. And falling short by 9 runs - 105 in 16 overs!

July 3, 2011: Hampshire are set 287 to win vs. Worcestershire, in what turned out to be 61 overs (so just under 2 sessions). They went for it too. Lost 6 wickets, scored at 4.5 rpo, and missed out by 12!

And on the very same day, Sussex needing 206 to beat Leicestershire...actually do it! In 35.2 overs at 5.86 rpo! And cutting it fine too, with 7 down!

This was a big day for dilemmas whether or not to chase victory. Northants decided against going for the 214 off 25 they needed to beat Essex. More than 8.5 an over - fair enough. More puzzling was Middlesex's not having a decent go at 286 off 65, set them by Surrey. That's only 4.4 per over, but they only managed 237 at well under 4. In mitigation, they were 6 down, but still - it was an easier target than the one Hampshire got within 12 of...

Comment

Working...
    X