Who is batting and bowling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is batting and bowling?

Sometimes I get confused with the interface, but please tell me how I can determine who is bowling to what batter and vice versa. Sometimes I think one bowler in bowling to one batter but it is the other batter that is batting the over. This really upsets me. Please help.

Originally posted by Jiramiv66 View Post
    Sometimes I get confused with the interface, but please tell me how I can determine who is bowling to what batter and vice versa. Sometimes I think one bowler in bowling to one batter but it is the other batter that is batting the over. This really upsets me. Please help.
    In baseball, everyone pitches from one end, and one batter stays on strike until they either are out, get on base, or homer.

In cricket, there are two batsmen at a time - one at each end of the pitch - and the bowlers alternate in bowling from the two ends of the pitch. Thus the batsman who was on strike last over will not be on strike this over (unless they scored an odd number of runs on the last ball). Similarly, a batsman who scores an odd number of runs mid-over gets off strike.

No-balls and wides are (of themselves) worth one run, but the batsmen do not change ends, so this is kind of an exception. There are other exceptions relating to dismissals (run outs and outfield catches) but I won't go into them right now as they're unnecessary complications.

If you haven't read Wikipedia on the subject of cricket, why not do so. If you haven't watched much cricket, why not watch a few overs on Youtube or on a free stream such as the Indian cricket board's (BCCI) one.

Comment

I understand how the game of cricket works in the real world, but I get confused with the game GUI as to who is bowling sometimes for my team. For an example, when my team is bowling, what does the green light on next to the batter's name mean? Does it mean he is the current batsman or striker or who the bowler is pitching to? Or can I tell who is batting by panning the pitch by pitch results on the left side of the screen as to who is the current batsman is (on the bottom, they give a summary as to who is the two bowlers and batsman; one bowler and batsman font color is yellow and the other two are black). The reason I ask is that I think I am setting line and length plus how aggressive to pitch and it seems that the batter without the green light is the current striker. Please clarify this for me in the ICC game. Thanks for any replies.
      I know about baseball as I played baseball throughout my youth as I am an American.
      Last edited by Jiramiv66; 11-19-2011, 06:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jiramiv66 View Post
        I understand how the game of cricket works in the real world, but I get confused with the game GUI as to who is bowling sometimes for my team. For an example, when my team is bowling, what does the green light on next to the batter's name mean? Does it mean he is the current batsman or striker or who the bowler is pitching to? Or can I tell who is batting by panning the pitch by pitch results on the left side of the screen as to who is the current batsman is (on the bottom, they give a summary as to who is the two bowlers and batsman; one bowler and batsman font color is yellow and the other two are black). The reason I ask is that I think I am setting line and length plus how aggressive to pitch and it seems that the batter without the green light is the current striker. Please clarify this for me in the ICC game. Thanks for any replies.
        I know about baseball as I played baseball throughout my youth as I am an American.
        I know you're American that's why I raised the differences between baseball and cricket because I thought that was what was confusing you.

The green light next to the batsman means that he is facing the next ball. So if you're playing over by over, you will naturally not see who is on strike ball-by-ball. The ball-by-ball details on the bottom left of the screen have the initials of the player who faced each ball (of course that doesn't help if both current batsmen have the same initials - in that case you have to try and trace back ball by ball, and that can get tricky).

The setting of line, length and aggression (and field) is batsman-specific. It automatically alternates depending who is on strike, however fast you play over-by-over. Unless you're saying you suspect this feature is not working.

Also sorry if this annoys you, but I'm telling you purely for information dissemination purposes:
        - it's the bowler not the pitcher; he bowls he doesn't pitch; the individual delivery is known as a 'ball' (or a 'delivery' lol)
        - we say batsman never batter; we rarely say striker, more often 'batsman (who's) on strike' - although we do say 'non-striker' for the chap at the other end.

Comment

No, it does not annoy me at all and thank you for setting me straight as to the correct terminology. Being a Yank, I am thinking pitcher and batter and not bowler and batsman and non-striker. It is my fault that I grew up watching and playing baseball my whole youth and life. Thank you very much for the clarification on both issues.
          In America, the pitcher pitches and the batter either hits the ball or does not swing; if the batter does not swing the umpire must call either ball or strike depending if the ball is in the strike zone or not, but I will bet you already know this.

Comment

Working...
          X