age retirement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• age retirement

hey iv been playing this game since the 06 icc game and have loved every one that has come out since then but in every one batsmen seem to retire around the ages of 38-40 but in modern day cricket batsmen ussualy retire around 36 37 at latest i know its only a couple of years diffrence and there are alot more bigger things that should be added to the new icc game but this would be nice to see fixed

Originally posted by spaga1994 View Post
    seem to retire around the ages of 38-40 but in modern day cricket batsmen ussualy retire around 36 37 at latest i know its only a couple of years diffrence

I disagree entirely with this.

Since I bought ICC2002 the game has tried to retire Graeme Hick, I've never managed to keep him on one single year in any game since 2002. IN real life he kept on playing until the end of 2008 (Aged 42)

England have many (dozens) of fully paid first class players over the age of 36, and many over 38. Those with little education outside the game - and are very good - seem to play on the longest.

A couple of years ago Gloucestershire had 5 players over 36 playing regularly for them (Barnett - who was 42 when he retired) Russell (just 40 at retirement) were the oldest.

Sorry then, have to completely disagree with this. I've never had a 41 year old playing in any ICC game (and I've simmed hundreds of years) in real life there are a few..in ICC none.
    The continued lack of stats in ICC is not so much the elephant in the room - as the Brontosaurus in the bathtub.

Comment

I totally agree with Scritty on this one, these days players are extending their careers longer and longer.......if anything it annoys me when players retire to early, my example is Mark Ealham(Evergreen), the game has been retiring Ealham after the first Season for years, but in real life he goes on and on, Mark Ramprakash is the same.....others i can mention are paul Nixon/Andy Caddick/HD Ackerman etc etc.
      Proudly supporting Nottingham Forest and Nottinghamshire CCC.

Comment

I haven't found player retirement a problem. I cant get into a game fully since 2006 where i had done 60 years as lancashire. But at the moment im Leicestershire and for example i still have HD Ackerman and paul Nixon in my team and im 3 years into the game.

Also i find player retirement helps to bring youth players through the ranks and gives them more of a chance to perform on the bigger stages.

Comment

Originally posted by Steely123 View Post
          Also i find player retirement helps to bring youth players through the ranks and gives them more of a chance to perform on the bigger stages.
          Well, just because they are in your squad it doesn't mean they have to play.

Ageism ? (only joking) If a better player is older..and the club wants to win, then they play the better/older player. But yes, I like to bring players on. However International call ups, Injuries, the international friendly games and games in competitions already decided (normally towards the end of a season) are good for this also.

Plenty of old dogs here.

That reminds me, that while coach of Worcestershire in 2002 [i think] Bill "CWJ" Athey played a game for Worcestershire almost 6 years after retiring from the game ( he was a few weeks short of his 46th Birthday)

I think John "Ern" Emburey did it as well when coach of Northants a few years ago - he was nearly 50 at the time (I think it might have been 2000).

Phil Defreitas was opening the bowling for Leicestershire at 37 !! So never mind batsmen or old fat spinners. Decent opening bowlers bowling till almost 40.

All these examples are test players and come since 2000. If you just dig through 1st class cricketers there are many many more.

Retire at 36/37 ?

That's for wussies
          Last edited by Scritty; 06-11-2009, 12:43 AM.
          The continued lack of stats in ICC is not so much the elephant in the room - as the Brontosaurus in the bathtub.

Comment

I think the game gets the right balance. I've had players retire as early as 32 and as late as 39-40, which gives a fairly good distribution of retirement ages.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyril Washbrook View Post
              I think the game gets the right balance. I've had players retire as early as 32 and as late as 39-40, which gives a fairly good distribution of retirement ages.

Yes, that's not a bad mean. But I still think the odd player would go on till just over 40 (as they do in real life) Never had a 41 yo, don't know if the game guillotine's them.

Had one player still worlds no1 batsman at 39, scored 7 test centuries that year, no injuries, captained county and country. Took wickets with occaisional medium pacers (not an allrounder, just one of those batsman with a golden arm - a feature I like btw).

He retired.

This is the only time (for years) that I reloaded a previous save (had to play most of the season again, then saved again at the end, very similar form and stats)

No matter how many times I reloaded (i did it for about an hour) he would not play on.

Now I don't condone cheating, but was very sad, esspecially as he had some records in sight (which as I've mentioned before I have to keep on pen and paper because the game doesn't store them )

In cases like this it would be nice...oh well

Paul

Comment

As a Leicestershire fan i know how players play on forever (Nico, Devon Malcolm, Daffy etc) but i find that sometimes the games retires people at the age of 33-35 which in my opinion is far too soon for most players.

In real life it is the last year for HD Ackerman and Claude Henderson at Leicestershire (cant get work permits next season), which is really sad because they are still fantastic players at their old age.

ps- Leicestershire for 20/20 victory again (wishful thinking )

Comment

Same here over at Notts, Mark Ealham is finally calling it a day at the end of this season......even though he is still a quality performer in the one day game.

Comment

At Sussex, we're just hoping muzza (goodwin) doesn't go at the end of this year. Although it will probably happen.

Comment

Good player Murray Goodwin......although i will be glad to see the back of him, he always scores bags of runs against me!!!!

Comment

I reckon a great feature would be (although definitely won't be in ICC09, maybe 2010) for us as coach/captain to choose when our players retire. We can let them go if we feel they are not performing anymore, or for salary cap purposes, and if no-one picks them up then they fade into the darkness, so to speak.

Also, if we choose to keep them playing into their 40's, the engine can cause them to become more inconsistent, more injury-prone, more susceptible to fast bowling (as a batsmen), shorter spells due to lack of fitness (for a bowler), and the like. This would be an awesome feature as it adds a better sense of realism.

And for those who want to retire on their own, we should be given the option of trying to convince to stay on, or perhaps offer them a player/coach sort of scenario, where they only play one form of the game (a la Shane Warne with Hampshire a few years back).

I'm not sure if this idea will kick on, but I quite like the prospect of it.
                        The Cult Of Personality

Comment

this is just reminding me of my somerset game at the end of the 1st season (2008). in that campaign i had willoughby who was hopeless, caddick who retired at 39 and ben phillips who did ok but also shockingly retired at 33!!
                          with 2 retiring and unable to bear using willoughby for another season (that bad) i was left with just alfonso thomas as my only decent pace bowler.

during the transfers i managed to sign tahir from warwick and yasir arafat as my overseas player. play 1 championship game which was a draw and tahir took 8 wickets. hooray im thinking then... tahir much to my shock got called up to the england squad for the season, aint they got enough choice without him?!! then arafat gets injured in training and is out for a month.

now im lumbered with steffan jones and peter trego. am i luckless!?!?! i still have thomas and munday but they cant do it all on their own

Comment

i totally agree with the trademarc. in AFL 2007(Australian Rules Football) you have the ability to attempt to coax a retiring player out of retirement, an ability i think should be incorporated into ICC.

Comment

had players retire at 30.. it should be at lest any agree over 33. at least you can be prepared. its was also annoying when you bought an older player and they retired after that seasons.. was it worth them even wanting the contract.. lol

Also when you don't buy players they just vanaish from the game!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X