The Golden Isles - A Third Time Lucky West Indies Story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Imager36 View Post
    Someone give me some easier opponents right now? A couple of series against New Zealand and Bangladesh now would be more welcome than having them later in the year and dealing with people I can't possibly beat yet now!

Good Way to tell story but poor Played
    After Historical Retired Players Stats ,Captains Record
    Is my Next Dream

Comment

Keep trying!

Comment

Encouraging signs from the slightly altered team, but still not the final product.

In the end, I think it was probably that 130 from Broad that meant the game got away from us. If they had been all out for about the same as us, I fancied us to win, due to them batting 4th on a wicket that was beginning to turn copiously.

Our second innings was annoying as well... pretty much everyone got starts, but no-one converted it into the 80 or 90 we needed to really shepard our innings to a total of 300 plus and set them something decent. Also, Ravi Rampaul got injured in this innings, so I'll probably be looking for yet another captain for the one day series here.

It was actually a closer result than it looks there, as well. Pietersen got injured early in their second innings, so at one point it was effectively 141/7, and I was sniffing a return to the old England side, and a most unlikely victory, but it was not to be. Shame.

Series State - England win the series 3-0.
        Batting Award - Kirk Edwards, Came into the team, and really showed what he was capable of.
        Bowling Award - Devendra Bishoo, Exploited a turning wicket at the end to take the game much closer than it should have been.

Series Awards (because they're so much more easy and fun than ratings )

Batting - Brendan Nash, 204 runs @ 34. Not a phenomenal average, but not a great series for batsmen on both sides. Edwards gets an honourable mention for the only hundred of the series.

Bowling - Devendra Bishoo, 14 wickets @ 21.57. Close between him and Dwayne Bravo, but Bishoo takes it for his average. Fidel Edwards was particularly poor, with 4 wickets in 3 matches.

ODI Squad

Okay, so, I took test thoughts out of my mind, and drew together a squad for the One Day Internationals. Chris Gayle's injury said 2 weeks, so I thought it might be worth a shot for the last of them, but Ravi Rampaul said 4, so it was wisest not to include him. Based on this, and the fact Gayle will be absent for a couple of matches at least, I selected this squad.

Originally posted by ODI squad

C. Gayle (OASP)
        L. Simmons (O/K)
        A. Barath (O)
        S. Chanderpaul (BAT)
        R. Sarwan (BAT)
        Darren Bravo (BAT)
        B. Nash (BAT)
        K. Pollard (ALL)
        N. Deonarine (ASP)
        Dwayne Bravo (ALL)
        D. Ramdin (K)
        A. Russell (SEAM)
        S. Narine (SPIN)
        K. Roach (SEAM)
        D. Bishoo (SPIN)
        For the Middlesex match, from that squad, Gayle is injured, Sarwan and Dwayne Bravo are rested because they are guaranteed starters in the first ODI, and I need to see how others play, and Ramdin is rested just to see if it is possible to play an OD match with Simmons behind the stumps.

Comment

I won a one day match! Don't get used to that.

I like to bowl first, and we did so. Narine was probably the most disappointing bowler, going at 6.4 an over, and as such, he will probably be the one replaced by Dwayne for the first ODI. Simmons conceded 6 byes, an amount I think I will concede for the extra batting and stability he provides without Gayle in the team. Deonarine and Pollard were impressive, conceding 4 runs per over or less each in those middle overs.

Barath batted very well, making 60 off 66, but he, Simmons and Darren Bravo then quickly fell, leading to us being 85/3, and really struggling against a county for a second time this year. Chanderpaul made 53 off 68 to steady the innings, and Brendan Nash started solemnly, which meant that off the last 10 overs, with Chanderpaul gone, and Pollard having given himself a solid base, we needed 80 runs. I set the blasters to maximum, and it seemed to work. 15 boundaries in 7.1 overs sealed the deal easily, and Nash and Pollard really accelerated quickly.

Team News - Sarwan in for Darren Bravo, Dwayne Bravo in for Narine.

Comment

Okay... this is getting scary now. It's all a dream, right?

Our bowling was, to be honest, poor, apart from Russell, whose 4/45 came from his full allocation of 10 overs. We started well, with the early run out of Cook, and Trott making Simmons take an excellent catch to get England 2 down. The game sort of meandered from here for a while, but Bell made a sizeable base for himself and then started playing more aggressively. His 171 in the end came from 153 balls, just over half the innings, and Bopara and Morgan both seemed to let him dominate, and played the defensive foil roles. In the last 10 overs, Russell came back into the reckoning, however, and skittled some middle and lower order batsmen to leave the total possibly 20 runs lighter than at some points it looked like being.

I still thought I had no chance, however, and that certainly was enforced when Barath, having lofted Broad for 6 first ball, was trapped LBW a couple of overs later. Simmons got a start and then got out trying to push on for 25, and the same could be said for Sarwan and Nash, who got out at points when it looked like the win might be possible, and sent it back to one batsman scoring and one struggling to get in. At 250/4, and going like a train with Chanders and Pollard at the crease, I felt sure I'd be reporting a victory. 3 overs later, with Chanders, Deonarine and Bravo all gone quickly, I thought a defeat was on the cards. Pollard knuckled down, oddly, and Andre Russell came in and smashed 20 off 13 balls, and the match was ours!

Series State - West Indies lead 1-0, 2 to play.
            Batting Award - Shivnarine Chanderpaul, A beautiful 143, in only 116 balls, paving the way to victory.
            Bowling Award - Andre Russell's 4/45 set up the total of 299, and without him in the attack, it may have been more like 320.

Team News - No changes, even though Deonarine feels like a very, very poor man's Chris Gayle at the moment.

Comment

Well done on your win in the ODI. Look forward to seeing how you get on in the remaining ones.

Comment

Much more like it.

Before you lay into the bowlers again, may I just say that Russell, Roach and Bishoo were excellent in their 30 overs. It was mainly the other bowlers, all 4 of them, who conceded a grand total of 168 runs in their 20 overs. Not a bad T20 score in those overs, in truth. I need new bowlers.

Our batsmen could never really compete on a track which offered a lot for the seamers, although some late order resistance from Pollard and Deonarine threatened to make us look like contenders for a while. As soon as one, and then both of these, however, was out, the tail folded, and the series was level.

Series State - 1-1, 1 to play. That really is tight.
                Batting Award - Kieron Pollard - Showed again what he is capable of, but the top order gave him nothing substantial to build on.
                Bowling Award - Kemar Roach - Has disappointed so far for me, but really hit the money here.

Team News - Sunil Narine comes in for Dwayne Bravo, in a last ditch attempt to make those middle overs from one end not so costly.

Comment

Do you ever get the feeling Kyle Hogg may be slightly overrated?

Hmm. We bowled well, but my batting was atrocious. 158? That's just rubbish, especially considering we chased 300 in the first game. This game deserves no more write up than this, really. It's a game for the first half we deserved to win, bowling to the mark, and only allowing them an under-par score as wickets fell at regular intervals. Bishoo and Narine were excellent in the middle overs, and Pollard's wicket-taking knack shone through.

The batting doesn't really deserve a mention, or paragraph. Barath was ordinary, as his 50 came in double slow time that piled the pressure on everyone else playing. I'm not happy, and I have every right to be. I'm not sure whether here it was tactics or just bad batsmen... I'm doing okay in other games batting like that.

Series State - England win the series 2-1.
                  Batting Award - Barath - There's no-one else.
                  Bowling Award - Kieron Pollard - Showed how he can be a thorn in the side in this form.

Series Awards

Batting - Shivnarine Chanderpaul - 192 runs at an average of 64, with a Strike Rate of 106.66 - Delivered the victory of the series, pretty much off his own bat. Very little help from the other top order members, with no-one else passing 100 runs in 3 games.

Bowling - Andre Russell - 9 wickets at an average of 16.22, and an economy of 4.87 - The stand-out bowler of the series. Roach also impressed with wicket-taking, and Bishoo with economy, but Russell had the full package.

Next up, a one-off T20I. How fun. For this match, Dwayne Smith comes into the squad and eleven, replacing Deonarine and also opening the batting. Darren Bravo also comes in, to replace Nash.

Comment

Close, but again no cigar.

We batted first, and started slowly. Players got in and out, Simmons didn't even get in. Smith's 37 came off 34 in the opening overs, and Chanderpaul's 23 was a run a ball. It was Darren Bravo and Sarwan who did the hitting that got us to a good score, however, with 37 off 22 and 31 off 22 respectively. The innings collapsed a little toward the end, with both of these getting out, and Pollard not even getting a ball to face as Russell got out and Narine played and missed.

In terms of bowling, the spinners were great, and were what gave us the chance at victory that we had. They needed 8 or so off the last 3 overs, but they got them at a canter, as first a Russell and then a Pollard over went for runs. Although 2 more wickets were taken at the end, the damage had already been done.

Series State - England win the series 1-0.
                    Batting Award - Darren Bravo - 37 off 22 and then got out by... well, Kyle Hogg.
                    Bowling Award - Sunil Narine - He's made his mark, and 2/23 off 4 overs shows that he's a good player here.

Now, we're going on to play a series in the West Indies against New Zealand. Firstly, 2 T20Is in the US of A. The squad news is that Danza Hyatt comes in to the squad for Nash. In terms of the team, Chris Gayle comes in for Adrian Barath whilst Dwayne Bravo replaces Kemar Roach.

Comment

Close, but again no cigar. Best comment ever

For such Close Chase Just Give Last Over Ball by Ball Pic also

Or like 4 . . .1 w
                      Last edited by cricfan1; 07-09-2012, 05:00 PM.
                      After Historical Retired Players Stats ,Captains Record
                      Is my Next Dream

Comment

Do you ever get the feeling Kyle Hogg may be slightly overrated?
                        Been given a bit of a boost this year. I thought he'd been a little underrated in ICC for a few years now but in fairness he's not lived up to his ability in real life either although he really has started to fulfil his potential in the last couple of years. In my current LCCC game he seems about right but he shouldn't be getting in the England ODI side, doesn't get many games for Lancs in OD and T20s. Very good FC bowler through, played a massive part in us winning the LVCC last season.
                        Last edited by Chasjs; 07-09-2012, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chasjs View Post
                          Been given a bit of a boost this year. I thought he'd been a little underrated in ICC for a few years now but in fairness he's not lived up to his ability in real life either although he really has started to fulfil his potential in the last couple of years. In my current LCCC game he seems about right but he shouldn't be getting in the England ODI side, doesn't get many games for Lancs in OD and T20s. Very good FC bowler through, played a massive part in us winning the LVCC last season.
                          Yeah, he's a good player, but I don't think he should be fast turning into England's best limited overs bowler! When you think of the quicks who should be ahead of him in game, there are probably 10 at least on England's actual radar above him (Onions, Dernbach, Meaker, Harris etc.), and at 28 he's too old to improve enough.

Comment

I sense some weakness in the New Zealand ranks.

The black caps really should have won this match, but failed to see it through. We won the toss and I chose to bat first. Smith and Gayle fell cheaply, but Chanderpaul and Darren resurrected the innings a little, with 19 from 21 and 33 from 31 respectively. All batsmen from then were given license, and although some did not make the most of it (Pollard 8 from 10) some did, including Lendl Simmons who made a handy 17 from 12, and Dwayne Bravo, who chipped in with 21 from 16 at the end. 138/8 was decent, but it didn't feel like enough.

Russell and Dwayne B each got early wickets, and as we had New Zealand 9/2, it felt like the best way to win was bowling them out. 43 runs from Taylor and Williamson later, this was no longer the case, and I relaxed the field. This led instantly to the run out of Williamson, picking out a man a little bit further in than he was before! Narine and Bishoo came on to spin the ball, and the worms slowly converged as Guptill struggled to get the ball off the square, and Ross Taylor ticked singles (he got one boundary in his 43 off 42!) Guptill went to Narine toward the end of his spell, and it came down to New Zealand needing 25 off the final 3 overs. A superb over from Dwayne Smith (the 18th) conceded only 4 runs, so they needed 21 off 12 balls. A wicket off the first ball of the 19th over from Russell appeared to seal it, but Bracewell hit 12 off the rest of that over, and only 9 were needed from the final 6 balls, to be bowled by Dwayne Smith. He did the country proud, bowling to his field, and having a man dropped at mid off off the final ball to concede only 5.

Series State - West Indies lead 1-0, 1 match to play.
                            Batting Award - Darren Bravo - His 33 held the innings together when it needed that exactly.
                            Bowling Award - Dwayne Smith - Took 2 wickets, was the most economical, and bowled brilliantly at the death. Superb. Makes up for his 2 off 7 balls opening the innings

Team News - No change to the team as we aim to secure an extra T20 table point.

Comment

I sense some weakness in the New Zealand ranks.
                              Don't I know it!

Comment

I've never had a regulation win before. That was almost fun!

Won the toss, bowled for a change. Russell took 2 wickets in the first over to leave NZ 3/2, and from there we were always in charge of the match. Williamson was run out soon after. Sinclair, Guptill, McCullum and Franklin all helped to re-build the innings, but did not do so at any pace, and despite a burst in the 15th over, the return of Russell put paid to any hopes of a score above 140.

An explosive 9 and out from the first over by Smith was the only real scare we had, as Chanderpaul ticked along at a run-a-ball, and the returned Chris Gayle hit 70 off 46 with 7 4s and 2 6s to make sure we didn't get down to the last 12 balls. Tim Southee was picked on especially. The partnership was an unbeaten 126. Lovely.

Series State - West Indies win the series 2-0.
                                Batting Award - Chris Gayle - Sublime hitting that was seriously missed in England.
                                Bowling Award - Andre Russell - Seems to be a consistent performer in the shorter forms. Too much more and the poor guy will have a test call up!

The 2 points from that series make us leapfrog both India and Sri Lanka to become 6th in the T20I world rankings!

Originally posted by Squad for ODI series

C. Gayle (OASP)
                                A. Barath (O)
                                L. Simmons (O/K)
                                S. Chanderpaul (BAT) (VC)
                                Darren Bravo (BAT)
                                R. Sarwan (BAT)
                                B. Nash (BAT)
                                D. Smith (ALL)
                                K. Pollard (ALL)
                                Dwayne Bravo (ALL)
                                A. Russell (SEAM)
                                R. Rampaul (SEAM) (C)
                                S. Narine (SPIN)
                                D. Bishoo (SPIN)
                                K. Roach (SEAM)
                                Rampaul is injured for 7 more days, so Chanderpaul will continue to lead the side for a while. We have things to lose for the first time, with the West Indies having won this series the last time it was played, 3-1. From that squad, Nash, Pollard and Dwayne Bravo miss out, with Simmons batting down at 7 as in the T20s.

Originally posted by GrahamB View Post
                                Don't I know it!
                                After that match, I respect your work even more than I have previously!

Comment

Working...
                                X