This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Graham_5000 View Post
    So far I would agree that this is a batting friendly game. I think that the effect of cloud should be increased to slightly rebalance things as I just hit 331 in 40 overs with Somerset on a very cloudy day, and bowled the opposition out for 320. The pitch wasn't a belter either! In recent years I would say bowlers have fought back against the batting domination of the early 2000s. Fair enough scoring at 7 an over in a 40 or 50 over game on a sunny day, and an even wicket, but when the sky is heavy and it is seaming all over the place, some attritional, grafting cricket should be required to muster a defendable score.
    Hi Graham,

What are your 40/50 over batting tactics to get scores that high? I don't know if it is my team but I'm struggling to make 200.

Cheers for any help

Stevo

Comment

Until 10 overs to go, I don't increase above 5 bars unless a batsman is at least 75% settled. Once this settled they can score quickly on 6 or 7. I never use full aggression. In the last 10 overs I use 7 bars for all batsmen regardless of whether they are settled when I have at least 5 wickets in hand. This is roughly what I do but I vary it a little according to weather and pitch conditions, I tweak it depending on the depth of my batting, I attack weak bowlers a little more and am wary of quality bowlers early on. I don't think there are steadfast rules but always try and build innings in the early stages.

Comment

PS some teams are not very good so will be hard to score with!!

Comment

Yeah I am struggling to build early...constantly losing early wickets. I'm essex and they arent great with the bat especially with cook and bopara away and shah and ten doeschate out of form but im not getting above 160-180 at all....need a rethink, will def have a try of your general set up.

Comment

Until 10 overs to go, I don't increase above 5 bars unless a batsman is at least 75% settled. Once this settled they can score quickly on 6 or 7. I never use full aggression.
            What if the run rate goes to 15 or above with 10 or more overs left?

Comment

Originally posted by Alrounder80 View Post
              What if the run rate goes to 15 or above with 10 or more overs left?
              If chasing I like to keep the RRR under 7, so that shapes how aggressive I am.

Comment

I will make sure that I never see 8.xx, I love trying different approaches, you've just got to work out what suits your team.

Is it England's method of building up with the technical players and then power on at the end (only really plausible because of the bowling, *cough* pick Finn *cough*)?

Or the aggressive start that most other countries start with?

Really, you've got to know your players and work out how they fit in best rather than a one-size-fits-all application of setting totals in one dayers!

Comment

I agree Sureshot - I use the above technique with Somerset who are pretty good on the batting front and have aggressive players like Kieswetter and Buttler..

Comment

I had a few games with Windies and I didn't mind the run rate getting to 9ish with 10 overs left as I could utilise Pollard etc, didn't always work but I enjoy how its easier to score quick runs at the end of an innings now. As Sri Lanka my aggresion depends on how well the openers do and I can therefore juggle the batting lineup accordingly.

Comment

I seem to be really struggling with my bowler economy rates, bowlers seem to be routinely going for over 4,5 an over in First Class and Test Match cricket. Even when not using an aggressive setting or being in poor form.

Comment

This isn't necessarily criticism since I may well be doing something wrong on my part, but I'm really struggling in One Day and T20 matches. AI batsmen score with ease whereas I keep getting out for very low totals (relatively speaking). I'd say I normally get 200-240 in ODIs, even with the likes of South Africa and opposition chases it down in 40 overs.
                        I'm starting to figure out how to prevent opposition getting massive totals (I effectively copy what the AI field settings are for my batsmen), but how can I improve my batting. I've tried going aggressive with like 6 bars from the beginning which didn't work. I've tried going 3 bars until 20 overs then go all out at the end. In essence, I've tried it all. I convinced my brother to have a go, he used to be an avid player of ICC but has gone of it recently. He played 5 games and got hammered which meant he didn't buy the game.
                        Again, this is not criticism. How can I improve generally, especially on the batting side of things?

Comment

Originally posted by Alrounder80 View Post
                          This isn't necessarily criticism since I may well be doing something wrong on my part, but I'm really struggling in One Day and T20 matches. AI batsmen score with ease whereas I keep getting out for very low totals (relatively speaking). I'd say I normally get 200-240 in ODIs, even with the likes of South Africa and opposition chases it down in 40 overs.
                          I'm starting to figure out how to prevent opposition getting massive totals (I effectively copy what the AI field settings are for my batsmen), but how can I improve my batting. I've tried going aggressive with like 6 bars from the beginning which didn't work. I've tried going 3 bars until 20 overs then go all out at the end. In essence, I've tried it all. I convinced my brother to have a go, he used to be an avid player of ICC but has gone of it recently. He played 5 games and got hammered which meant he didn't buy the game.
                          Again, this is not criticism. How can I improve generally, especially on the batting side of things?
                          I have not scored below 260 in 10 ODIs as South Africa, neither has my opponent. If you allow your batsmen to settle before hitting out you should be able to score later with them settled. With wickets in hand, you can be quite brutal with 10-15 overs to go.

Bowling is the tricky bit - they score so easily! I try several strategies... Sometimes I bowl line and length and put fielders deep where a batsman has a preference to hit eg long ons for legside loving front footers - I do this within the framework of an in/out field when the restrictions are up - during restrictions I use the deep fielders where they like to hit too! Sometimes I bowl the line and length a batsman likes least and set a field accordingly.
                          Last edited by Graham_5000; 07-08-2013, 05:55 PM.

Comment

I have not scored below 260 in 10 ODIs as South Africa, neither has my opponent. If you allow your batsmen to settle before hitting out you should be able to score later with them settled. With wickets in hand, you can be quite brutal with 10-15 overs to go.

Bowling is the tricky bit - they score so easily! I try several strategies... Sometimes I bowl line and length and put fielders deep where a batsman has a preference to hit eg long ons for legside loving front footers - I do this within the framework of an in/out field when the restrictions are up - during restrictions I use the deep fielders where they like to hit too! Sometimes I bowl the line and length a batsman likes least and set a field accordingly.
                            Haha I'm actually finding bowling easier now. I used to try making custom fields with long on, long off, deep square leg and deep point. That never worked. Now I just use the default fields. Usually 3 bars or even 4 and set the field opposite to batsmen preference. Once they are settled (score around 20-30 runs) I change it to 2 bars before going completely defensive, bowling outside offstump regardless of batsmen preference. This works much more effectively I find. Also, I'm not sure if this makes a difference, but I'm now starting to do ball by ball (I have my highlights on none when bowling and just press the ball button for every over). It feels like it helps rather than pressing enter, I don't even think I adjust fields between overs but for some reason it means I perform better with the ball.

But batting, yes I guess I should be even more defensive and explode in the last 10-15 overs. Having more alrounders in the team rather than sole bowlers could help with that.

Comment

Is it possible for the computer not to employ a slip and short leg during the (usually) 35 over powerplay? At this point in a 50 over game I reckon run conservation would be key unless wickets had been tumbling and there was leeway with which to apply some pressure.

Comment

Working...
                              X